Chapter 9

Sierra turned a page in her book. She was sitting next to Amar’e on his bed, both reading the books for their respective manas. They had their backs leaned up against the wall of the vertical side of the bed with Amar’e near the edge. Sierra would peek over at him every five pages or so to see his light smile as he read Bruce’s book about Re. Every time she did, she couldn’t help but feel warm inside because it would occur to her that she’s spending the night with Amar’e in his room. It seemed like she had to make sure she wasn’t just day dreaming every time she did so. That’s when Amar’e let out an unexpected sigh but it wasn’t a sad or relieved one, he was still smiling.

“What’s wrong?”

“The old guy is a clown, that’s all.”

“How so?”

“He keeps using comparisons to food in his explanations of Re and its concepts & laws. It’s like he is trying to make you hungry as much as he is trying to teach you.”

“Well you know Master Bruce, he loves his food. He can eat an entire five course meal himself.”

“Yea but some of the stuff in here is ridiculous. It’s like it’s a cook book too. Here listen to this, ‘Balance is essential when discussing and practicing Re. For something to reach its full potential, it must achieve a state of perfect balance. Take a simple breakfast for example. For it to taste just right you must have the perfect balance between the amount of pancakes and bacon on your plate. One cannot have five pancakes and simply expect only two strips of bacon to accompany them. That’s a travesty. But you can not have ten strips of bacon and than only two pancakes. It isn’t the same experience and your taste buds will be in chaos...’ Then it’s a whole bunch of nonsense about how sunny side up eggs, fried eggs or scrambled eggs affects the balance as well.”

Sierra was giggling uncontrollably after hearing this.

“Wow...how does that teach the concepts of Re exactly?”

“That’s what I find funny...in a weird way when he’s done with explaining the entire food thing every time...it all makes so much more sense than before he used the food comparison.”

“Really?”

“Yea listen...‘Now if we take the circumferences of the stack of eight pancakes and compare them to the length of the thirteen strips of bacon, the percentage of the their ratio should in turn be equal with the surface area of the fried eggs thus achieving perfect balance. This will create the perfect taste during consumption and perfect aftertaste after consumption of your meal. We’ll get into how the type of juice you drink in the morning can affect this equilibrium later. But just like a breakfast, the amount of power must be in balance with the stamina of the mana. Re is as strong as its user and has as much depth as their stamina. The balance between the two is essential so that they can work with the third component in harmony, the third being the user’s fighting style. Remember the union between the pancakes, the bacon and the egg to achieve the best efficiency.”

“Hehe you’re right, that actually is a good comparison.”

“This would be a truly good read if the author didn’t make me hungry every five minutes. How’s Lucy’s book?”

“Oh hers is nothing special. Not as recipe-ish as Bruce’s of course but she get’s straight to the point of the laws and is so descriptive. It’s like she tells you exactly what Fa is and exactly how to use it straight from the book with perfect instructions and details. I’ve read instructional and informal books before and they always usually leave out something that makes me wonder more or leaves me  bit confused but I can read one thing from this once and know exactly what it means and what she talks about doing.”