If He Knows What is Good for Him, He Best Go

You: Hey, dude. What do you want for your birthday?

Frankie👻: For my parents to accept me, to know my reason for living, to accept the fact that all my loved ones and myself are going to die one day;;

You: That... Is really sad, Frnk.

Frankie👻: You wanted to know!!

You: K, something I can BUY for your birthday!!

Frankie👻: lol okay then nothing.

You: Frnki, don't do that to me.

Frankie👻: don't do what?

You: I'm going to get you something.

Frankie👻: Don't!!!! I don't need anything😩

You: Dude it's your bday, I need to get you something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frankie: Then draw me something cool, one of a kind. 💕💕💕

;;;

"And I fucking know about this party, you don't have to hide it." Frank's static voice booms through the phone. Gerard nearly drops his cellphone from the comfy position in between his ear and shoulder when he frowns.

He stills while hanging the decorative tinsel, pausing and putting a hand on the ladder. Frank's mother looks over in concern while putting on a colourful tablecloth. He waves her off and takes a hold of the phone. "What? Why would I be decorating?"

"Don't you think it's kind of weird that the only day my dad takes interest in me and takes me out is during the day of my birthday, and every time I come home to a surprise party," Frank explains, and Gerard knows he has a fucking smirk on his face.

"'Kay, I don't have an answer to that," Gerard monotones back. "I have to get back to... Not decorating." He clicks the phone off.

"Everything alright?" Linda asks, grabbing some white plates from the kitchen and placing them on the table. She keeps them in a stack at the corner of the table, making room for food, Gerard assumes. Gerard smiles as he climbs down the small ladder, the tinsel being done.

He shrugs. "It's hard to pull one over on your son, that's for sure."

Linda snickers, looking at Gerard knowingly before walking off to the kitchen. "He's a smart boy, Gerard." She walks back in with a platter of vegetables with a dip in the middle. She places it next to the plates, then takes a stack of plastic cups out from under her arm and places them on the table. They had the generic Halloween print on them, which was so cheesy Frank would probably die over them. (Okay, Gerard doesn't necessarily know in a good or a bad way.) "I just wish I knew that was bothering him all the time, so I could help."

Gerard doesn't exactly know what to say but he smiles over his shoulder as he looks around the room to make sure everything was done. Two tables were set up, with food, drinks and presents, the curtains designed with tinsel and gushy, sticky pictures that stick to the windows. Other than that, the living room was the same old, the white L shaped couch and TV. He picks up a bag of orange balloons, picking one up and right before he puts his lips on the rubber, he speaks. "Frank's a strong kid, he's kind of just... emotional."

The boy's mother sighs, placing her hands on the structure of the couch, looking down at her polished nails. "He's not being picked on at school, is he? 'Cos I know how much he hates that place, plus how uncomfortable he is in his uniform and the strict rules."

Frank went to the Catholic private school a couple of minutes away from Gerard's public school. From what he's heard, it's extremely shitty and Frank thought of it as a synonym of prison. The place kind of scared the seventeen year old, if he was being honest. Plus, Frank never expressed being bullied necessarily. He had said that he doesn't fit in well, but Frank has school friends. One, in particular, Gerard thinks his name is Zacky. He usually spends his lunch with him, so Gerard tries really hard not to be jealous. And, yeah, okay, Frank knows Bob too, Gerard guesses.

"I, uh, don't think so? He's never said anything?" Gerard answers honestly, shrugging. He blows up the balloon easily, tying a knot in it. He blows up another one bigger this time, on the brink of popping.

"Do you know what has been going on with him them?"

Maybe being honest would be the best thing here. "Well, he just got out of a relationship. It didn't end great."

His mother looks confused but lets go of the couch and heads to the kitchen. "Oh? Who was it?" Linda calls from the other room, before walking out with a large bottle of Orange Crush in her hands.

Before blowing up another balloon, Gerard stares angrily at the ground. "Some jerk named Robert, he sucked." He tries to make it sound like it doesn't bother him but he feels himself go red. He quickly puts his mouth on the balloon. Out of his peripheral vision, he sees Frank's mom still. While blowing, he looks up at her, puzzled.

"He?"

Gerard blows too hard and it pops against his face causing both of them to jump. The shocked sound of her voice causes Gerard to feel instantly sick. He initially tries to backtrack. "I-I didn't mean-!" He fucking forgot that Frank's parents didn't know. He just accidentally outed his best friend. He begins to sweat.

Shakily, Frank's mom puts the soda down on the table. "Is my son... gay?"

Gerard doesn't know whether he's going to burst into tears or die of a heart attack. "I-I, I don't know. All I know is about Robert." He stutters out.

Linda stays quiet for a while before she forgets about the table and walks over to the couch, sitting down with a sigh. She gazes down at her clasped hands in her lap, on top of her floral pattern maze dress. Gerard makes the brave decision to sit down next to her, looking up at her nervously, but curiously.

It takes a couple of seconds before Linda begins to talk, pain all over her face. Gerard feels his lower lip quiver.

"I think I already knew."

Gerard doesn't respond.

"I-I am his mother. I knew. I-I tried to deny it but- I knew. And I couldn't help him."

Gerard looks away as he feels tears fall from his eyes. He doesn't break down though, just silently inhales and bats his eyelashes in the other direction.

The seventeen year old wants to tell her that it's not something that could be helped, and nothing that she could do would've changed anything. He wants to suck up his emotions and comfort her. Even though something like this should cause a negative reaction, it was still the fifteen year old's mother and she was shocked.

But he doesn't, he cries for himself, and for Frank.

"No." It's softly worded, causing Gerard to flinch a bit.

"You didn't tell me." She continued, voice broken and choked. "That way I don't have to lie to him."

Gerard shoots his head towards her, brows furrowing. "You're not going to tell Frank's dad?"

She shakes her head, looking up at Gerard with glassy eyes. "No. Let's pretend like you never told me." And with that, she pats Gerard's leg, bats her eyelashes a bit and paints on a smile. "Now, we have a party to finish." She gets up, leaving Gerard with broken pieces of Frank's real mother, the person in front of him being a completely different person.

Gerard stays still for a couple of seconds, watching as she walks swiftly out of the room. He decides it's best to keep quiet and to act like nothing happened.

A/N: Hi. Please don't out people. I know what Gerard did was an accident and it is absolutely not acceptable. Thanks. Oh, and sorry. :)

Part two of Frank's birthday, coming soon!!!