Nine

*****

"No we ain't no Brad and Angelina, oh, we don't let that bother us either. If we let it all go, go, Maybe if we let it all go, go, Maybe we just  let 'em all know, I just want to say, "From my head to my toes, feeling overexposed, I wanna be naked with you."- Naked, by the X Ambassadors

*****

Rose

It had been a little over a two weeks since James and I had our encounter, to say the least, things weren't very good. They were definitely worse. James flaunted his player ways in front of me whenever he got the chance, whether it was in the halls in between classes or at lunch or in the school's parking lot. Every time I saw him, he always had some random girl hanging onto him, and kissing him, and giggling.

And it was worse, whenever I saw him with Andrea, because they both rubbed it in, and daunted me with it.

Snap out of it Rose, you sound like a jealous girlfriend. I thought to myself. You aren't jealous are you? I hated asking myself that every time I was bothered by James and his flavor of the day. Why should I care? James wasn't my boyfriend, and at this rate and given the circumstances it doesn't look like he'll ever be.

On the other hand word had reached Blake that I had "made out" with James, and now I was receiving the cold shoulder. I know I complained about Blake, but I sort of missed him. There was also something different about him, the way he looked at me, it was unreadable. I tried the first few days of him avoiding me, to talk to him, but he just gave me the unreadable look. The blank stare, but the only thing I could discern from his look was that he seemed like he knew something.

It was Friday, and tonight was the first game of the season for our school's football team, so you could pretty much forget about learning anything today. It was normal to pretty much have an off day on Game Day, the teachers would give up trying to teach, because everyone was so excited about the game. People were probably more excited for this first game, than any other because it was the first Friday in October, and usually preseason here never lasted a week into October.

The day was just spent talking about the after party, the opposing team, the dresses for the after party, and the booze at the after party. Of course Cal's party was the talk of the town, and everyone was looking forward to it. Apparently he had a mansion, and a wine cellar.

That day I tried not to pay too much attention to James, but I was reminded of James's first game ever, when he was JV, and how he said, "...I couldn't have won tonight, if you hadn't been there." It was a sweet nothing, but it made me smile at one point in time. So today I tried to mostly focus on Hunter. Hunter was ecstatic about the game today, and he was very fidgety. I also checked on Nate, and he was just apathetic about the game, but I could tell he was a bit nervous about it too.

"So? Are you coming tonight?" Hunter asked me as we were walking outside to eat lunch.

"To what?" I replied.

"Come on Rose, you know, the game." He rolled his eyes.

I sighed. "I don't know Hunter, I mean I don't really think I should."

"Rose, you have to! I know things are all awkward with you and James and Blake, but you should still come." Hunter argued.

"Hunter-" I groaned.

"Come on please please please! For me? Your little Hunter-poo?" He pouted.

"Come on Hunter, you can't pout at me." I told him.