Home Is Not Where The Heart Is

It was the end of the school day. I went home after walking with my girlfriend.

I walked into my home. I was immediately hit with the sound of chaos, and it is not the dangerous kind. I walked to the living room seeing my twin baby brother and sister with their babysitter.

She got up with her bag and said, "Hey, Kai. Gotta go. Tell your parents that Shelly and Shack were great today." She said this all in one breath before running out in a rush.

Shelly and Shack yelled out in their baby lauguage, "Kai!"

I gave them a sweet smile and said sitting on the floor beside them, "Hey, how are you two?"
They replied with babbles and drooling. Hey, they were only 18 months. What do you expect?

This was my normal activity after school. My Mom and Dad had to work alot for their 6 kids, including me. I was happy to help them out, then again, I got so exhausted everytime. My needs barely get met. I ate a good meal, but I had to cook it since they get out of work late. I had to bathe the twins, make sure Ashley doesn't get crayon or ink on anything, make sure Iggy finishes his homework, and Hannah is usually in her room with teenager problems.

Hate to say it, but Hannah's problems is one less thing I can live with. Like, what were those 14 years old be doing now a days? Things got from zero to a hundred real quick.

I have been doing this so often, that I have became numb to them. But of course, I have to hide it. My little siblings are growing up and needs a perfect figure to look up to.

The front door opened. I knew who it was. I turned and greeted, "Hey, Hannah. How was your school day?"

Hannah growled, "I hate you."

I said standing up, "No, you don't." I walked up to her and asked with a sympathetic smile, "What happened?"

Hannah's hazel eyes began to water. Our eyes looked so alike that it looked like I was watching myself cry. She whimpered, "Jason dumped me."

I sigh, "Aw. Sweetie, it's okay." I gave her a hug as she cried in my shoulder. I just didn't understand. Why did she go back with him after he even cheated on her? Why was she even dating in the first place?

I didn't ask any of that. I said, "How about I make your favorite tea while you sit on the couch and rest. You must have had a terrible day."

Hannah nodded and went to the living room.

I went to the kitchen to make tea. While I was making tea, I heard the door open and close.

Iggy and Ashley was here. Iggy ran into the living room and got in front of the television to play video games. Hannah was being herself and sat beside the couch drawing in her little she always carried around.

I made sandwiches in the morning, so they could eat when they all got home. But I was busy with the tea.

Suddenly, Shelly started crying.
I run to the living seeing Ashley trying to soothe her herself, but she was amazingly failing. I took Shelly from her and cradled her in my arm.

I asked, "What happened?"

Ashley said with her 7 year old honesty, "Shelly wanted Iggy's controller, but he wouldn't give it."

Iggy mumbled, "She's just a dumb baby."

I scolded, "Hey! Don't talk about like that. Sooner or later, you will have to defend and protect her like a big brother too."

Hannah asked, "Is my tea done?"

I nodded. "Get it when get your sandwiches." I ran back into the kitchen with a sniffling Shelly. I got the sandwiches out and finished making her tea.

They ate, fought cried and finally they were asleep in bed at ten o'clock, well "some" are texting on their phones.

I went to my bed and flopped on it. I was so tired. I wondered how long I could deal with this. I may had not cared about my classmates, but I did care for my siblings. I just got a big numb, that's all.

My phone vibrated. I looked at my phone seeing that Krysta texted me.

I texted back. Then I was immediately asleep.

Tomorrow will be a better day. Not only because it's a new day, but because it will be Friday. My parent would be off early and I could go out.
So much better than this place.