Saying hi and goodbye

Dedicated to Cora_childofhades :)

ZACH'S POV-----

"Momma where are we going?"

"We have to say goodbye to grandpa today." Momma's eyes are leaking again as she finishes her hair.

I go up behind her and hug her, "it's ok momma, grandpa gets to be with grandma again." I smile up at her as she looks down at me with wide eyes. She picks me up and holds me close, my head tucked under her chin, she sways side to side, my little sister in between us.

"Grandpa is probably talking to lil sis." I sit back and look at momma with a wide smile on my face. Momma only nods. Little drops of water running down her cheeks.

"Come here you three." I look over momma's should and see daddy come in. His fancy clothes on.

Momma stands up with me in her arms and walks into daddy's open ones. Daddy coos to momma and she sobs. Why is she leaking so much?

"Don't worry my little sidekick, your momma will be ok." I hear grandpa say. I smile at the sound of his voice.

I love grandpas voice.It's deep like the guys on tv, but friendly too. Momma walks down stairs with me and daddy walks behind us with a sad face. Why is daddy so sad? I watch as daddy locks the front door as momma buckles me into my seat, both of them get into their seats and daddy pulls away from the house. I watch as the trees and park pass by, but look at the sad faces of momma and daddy.Why are they so sad?

"I'll get him baby, you go ahead." My daddy leans over and kisses momma's forehead and she nods, sniffling a little.

Daddy pulls into the yellow lines at an odd looking house and momma walks ahead as daddy unbuckles me.

"Hi buddy." He says to me. I watch him as he sets me on the ground, a frown on his face. He starts walking to the doors, holding my hand. Letting me walk in small zig zags.

"Daddy, why momma so sad?" I look up at him and he gives me a little smile.

"She's sad that she has to say goodbye to grandpa. But she'll be ok."

"Will lil sis be ok too?" I ask, trying to hurry up to momma to check.

Daddy laughs a little, "they will be ok. That's for being such a good little man buddy." Daddy picks me up and hugs me, I lean my head on his shoulder and hug him back. I love my daddy. I sit in between momma and daddy as so many people come and sit down in the chairs. A big box at the front with many pretty flowers.

Where's grandpa? I look around and see a lot of people leaking and have sad faces.

"We are gathered here today to morn the lose of a man who was truly one of a kind." I sit forward and look at the old grandpa standing in front by the box. But his ears look funny, like you could fit a bouncy ball in his stagy earlobe.

"Grandpa friend?" I ask my daddy and he nods.

I nod too. Grandpa had a lot of funny looking friends. Some had drawings on them and others had holes in places. But all of them were nice and funny. I liked them. Another old grandpa stands up and talks, they all talk about my grandpa. He is a good guy. Than momma gets up and stands there. She cries. And cries. But tells us all stories of grandpa.

I wanna say something too. Quickly I slide off my chair and hurry to momma. My daddy whispers my name, but I wanna say something too.He my grandpa.

"Zach?" Momma asks bending down to pick me up.

"I wanna talk too. He my grandpa." I say firmly. Momma smiles at me and holds me close to the weird thingy.

"I, Zach." I say, I cover my ears as the thingy screeches. Momma moves me back a little. "I have to say goodbye to my grandpa today." I hear a few people sniffle or sob and I look back at momma and she is crying too. But she nods and I go on.

"I was grandpa's sidekick. We liked eating jello together. But grandpa didn't like it to be jiggly." I shake my head to really let them know how much grandpa didn't like jiggly jello.

A few people laugh. Momma laughs too. "But grandpa had to go be with grandma, they said they were making the stars prettier for us." Momma sobs behind me, leaning her head on my shoulder. "It will be ok. Lil sis will be here soon and got to see them and I know grandpa will teach her all about the right kind of jello." I smile at everyone and many people smile back even though they have water running down their faces.

The first old grandpa comes up and taps my momma on the shoulder, "if your ready, we can do the viewing." Momma nods and walks back to daddy with me. Everyone walks into a different room and I hold both momma and daddy's hand as we stand in front of the box, people talk to momma and daddy than look in the box. Many sniffle and sob. All leaking.When everyone is gone, daddy picks me up and we leave momma for a minute to talk to grandpa.

"You ready to say goodbye buddy?" Daddy looks at me with sad eyes and I nod. We walk back into the room and momma smiles at me, even though she has tears shinning on her face. Daddy walks up to the box and can finally see what's inside.

It's grandpa! I look at him and he is still. Very still. Maybe he is sleeping.

"Hi grandpa." I say waving at him. But grandpa doesn't wave back.

"Is grandpa sleeping?" I ask daddy and daddy nods slightly, glancing at momma.

"When is he going to wake up?" I smile at them.

Momma comes up and rubs my back, "oh baby, grandpa is going to sleep for a long time. He is going to be a star with grandma, so we won't be able to see him for a while."

"No." I sniffle. "I wanna play with grandpa still. We gonna play cars and eat jello." I cry, wiping my eyes. "Shhh, it's going to be ok buddy." My momma says to me. I reach out for grandpa, but daddy holds me enough away so that I can't touch him. "I don't wanna say goodbye." I cry harder, reaching again and again to my grandpa.

My hero.

"We have to buddy." My dad says moving me so that he is hugging me, my head on his shoulder. I still reach for grandpa as daddy and momma walk out of the room, a man coming up and closing the box. Warm tears soak my face as I sob and sniffle. Asking for grandpa. Momma holding me now as daddy drives home.

"Shhhh, it's ok baby. Grandpa is with grandma now and they will always be with us." Momma says to be, her tears soaking into my hair.

---------

Oh my gosh 😭 the feels are real.
I cried writing this. 💔💔
Thank you all so much for reading and voting! Commenting too!!!

Also! The picture at the top is of Zach as a little boy when this happened, plus one when he is a teen *hint* hint* if you guys want a chapter of when he is older, let me know :)

Thank cora_childofhades for this request!!

You guys are awesome!!!