The beginning of a new life

Picture of Maddie now

I've been sitting in this seat for almost two hours now and I'm so ready to just freak out.

"Adam Jameson." The principal calls.

I groan to myself, Maddie's flowers are already dying and I'm sure her chocolate is liquids in the car.

"Sophia dovemen." I let another groan leave my lips.

A few other people around me give me dirty looks, while others join right in and do the same thing.

"Maddie-" as I see my little girl stand up and walk towards her principal I jump up and start clapping as loud as I can, woot if and hollering.

A few dirty glares later I sit down once another student stands up to get their named called. One of Maddie's friends parents are sitting next to me and the father, Clark, pats me on the back.

"Good going." He gives me a smirk and I give him one back.

"Thanks." I reply.

A few minutes pass and I zone out thinking what it would be like if Abbie were here.

"I am here silly." Her voice echoes and I weakly smile.

"I know you are love, but Maddie would have loved to have you here in person." I say back in my head.

My heart hurts a little thinking of how happy Maddie would be to just get a minute with her mother. I know that she tried to always hide it from me that she was a little lonely at times not having a mom to talk to about things that only females can understand; but I tried to be both of us. Even though I could never really stand a chance against the real person who should be here.

"Baby, you've done an excellent job raising our baby girl! I know that Maddie wished me to be with you guys, I wish that too; more than anything I wish that. But I also know that she wouldn't trade you for anyone else." She whispers to me as though she is hugging me from behind.

"There is a hole in us without you love. A hole that I can't fill for her and I hole that will forever be in me." My eyes water and I quickly blink them away.

A small tingle brushes my cheek as though she is cupping my face, I slightly lean towards it and I close my eyes trying to imagine her here. Her mascara would be running down her face and she be failing miserably trying to hold her sobs in, I'd have to give her a tissue and wipe her face and make her blow her nose like a little kid who refuses to do t themselves.

"Now. Will you all stand to congratulate our graduating class of 2015!!" The principal says excitedly into the microphone.

I stand, breaking out of my little heaven and clap as the students throw their hats.

"Why are they square? Didn't anyone realize how funny they look?" Abbie says in my head, making me laugh.

She asked me the same thing at our graduation. I followed behind all the other crying, annoyed parents outside to wait for my little girl. After a few minutes I see her walk out of the doors with a group of her friends. Jacob came up behind her and kissed her quickly before saying goodbye and talk to you later. They have been dating for almost a year now. I have great parenting advice I guess. I walk a little closer, Maddie hugs all of her friends and they all laugh. I quickly take pictures; this was her moment and it was shinning so bright I wanted to capture it.

"What about my hug?" I say over their chatter, Maddie looks around for a minute and then sees me standing in front of their group a few feet away.

The small bouquet of flowers in one hand, my old suit on and a proud smile on my face, though I give her my questioning look. She smiles brightly at me and runs to me; I open my arms and catch her. Hugging her tightly, her feet barely off the ground, unlike when she was younger. The memories flood my head and I put my head on her shoulder to hide the few tears that fall.

"I love you daddy." She says as I let her feet touch the ground, but don't loosen my hug.

She doesn't loosen either, she hugs just as tight.

"I love you too baby girl."

I pull back from her shoulder and look into her eyes. Those eyes that are just like her mothers.

"Your mom loves you too. She is extremely proud of you." I give her a weak smile, as the image of Abbie and Maddie hugging each other as such an important event in our little girls life.

Maddie nods with a sad smile, tears gathering in her eyes.

"You think so?" She whispers looking down at her graduation gown.

I lift her chin and wipe a tear from her cheek, "I know so sweetheart."

She smiles and nods a little as I tuck her under one of my arms and put her head on my chest as she thinks about her mother. A few of her friends glance over and from the looks they give me, they know this is hard for her.

"Dad..." She whispers.

"Yeah?"

"Was she here today? With you in the stands?"

"Indeed she was. She got me a few dirty looks from some other parents, she told me that if I didn't stand up and cheer for you like I was at one of my concerts..... Let's just say mom would not be very happy with me." I tease. Maddie laughs and nods in agreement. I've told her many stories of her mother and me, she is the same spot fire her mother was, only a little less dramatic.

"I am not dramatic." Abbie pouts in my head.

"Sorry baby, but you kinda are." I smile.

She turns her back to me and crosses her arms over her chest. Ever so often glancing back at me, wondering if I'm going to cheer her up.

"Maddie!!" We both turn to see Abbie's parents walking towards us with open arms.

"Grandpa! Grandma!" Maddie says as I give her one last squeeze than watch her walk towards them.

They engulf her in a huge bear hug and I hope my little girl can breath.

I watch from where I was and it takes me back to my graduation.

I had been twirling Abbie around in my arms, her feet off the ground and a wide smile on her face. Once I had slowed down she kissed me and we stopped spinning to just pause in the moment. No one else mattered. It was just us. Our special moment. Then her parents came and took pictures of us, I took pictures of them, and then we got a picture of us all together.

"Dad?"

"Dad??"

I look up and see the grandparent looking at me and Maddie.

"What?" I say walking to them.

"Let's go, Roy's pizza is calling our names." Maddie says with a small smile.

"Well we can't leave pizza waiting can we?" I roll my eyes dramatically like its a no duh question.

The grandparents and Maddie cheer, "no we can't!"