Friendship Never Dies (a One Direction Fanfiction)

Chapter 4

The boys, all stares and smiles, were taking in the whole scene. The flat smelled wonderful, there was twangy country music playing in the background, and Kate looked like she was back home and loving it!

"What have you done now?" Zayn asked tugging on her braid and kissing her. She just smiled and pulled him into the kitchen, the other boys following close behind.

Niall gasped and he an Louis started to jump up and down. "Here we have, a traditional Okie supper," Kate pointed to each item still steaming on the table. "Fried okra, cornbread, biscuits, grits, greens, green beans, chicken fried steak, black eyed peas, and pecan pie!" She showed them how to pass the plates, and assemble all of their food. As the last plate got set down, the boys began to eat. "Now what in Christ's name do y'all think you're doing?!" Kate shouted. The boys were confused. "You never eat a homemade meal in the South without saying Grace, now take hands," the boys did as they were told. Kate said Grace the Southern Methodist way. When she was done, they all dug in.

Once every plate was clean they all stood to leave. "Oh no! I cooked, y'all clean. Get to work!" Kate went over and cranked up her music, singing along with her natural twang.

After the boys were finished, everyone sat in the living room to listen to Kate's stories from home. Mid-way through her tornado tales, a song came on the speaker that made her leap up and crank the volume even louder.

It was a song called "Fly Over States" by Jason Aldean. The second chorus was all about Oklahoma and I brought tears to Kate's eyes. She knew the whole song by heart. "Oh yeah!" She yelled and ran up the stairs. Moments later she was back with a stack of t-shirts. She handed one to each of the boys. The had the outline of the state with the word "home" in the middle. "I brought these for y'all and nearly forgot! Oh and I have our movie for tonight. I think it's time y'all learned a little about my great state and what better way than by a musical all about it?" She smiled and held up a copy of the movie-musical "Oklahoma!"

Kate new every song and most of the lines. She fell asleep on Zayn's chest humming the "People Will Say We're in Love: Reprise." The boys however, stayed up to watch the rest of the movie.