Chapter 7

February 18th

High school really isn't all it's cracked up to be. In movies you're either the underdog, or super popular. The movies never show you the in between those ranks. I suppose that's what I am. I don't really have any enemies, I don't think, but I'm not top dog going to parties all the time and dating the star quarter back of the football team. For the most part, I'm ok with that, but everything seems so bland and uneventful throughout the week. 

I suppose I'm considered the, "hot" one out of my group of friends, and I admit, it has its perks, but it has its down sides as well...

Earlier this week

"Mackenzie!" my buddy, Chase, beckons for me to come to him as i walk up the flight of stairs to the high school. If you didn't know him, you'd think he was gay, and he knows it. Oliver and Alex asked me after they had met him for the first time if he was. Chase and I have been good friends since about sixth grade. I walk over to him and smile. His brown eyes remind me of my Great Dane's eyes. He rests his arm on my right shoulder lazily and offers me a coffee. I gulp down the steamy liquid gratefully and sigh in content. Who needs breakfast when you have coffee? 

"Thanks," I hand the metal canister back to him with a smile. 

"So how have you been?" he asks, his dimples visible with his smile. I shrug.

"Not too bad, I suppose. You?"

"Pretty good. So, what are your plans for this weekend?" His eyes seem to sparkle a bit, but I think it's just a trick of the eye. 

I think for a moment, "Ooh. I'm getting highlights. Although, my hair is so naturally light as it is, the only color we could find light enough for my hair is basically white, " I laugh and he laughs with me. "But besides that," I say as we finally end our laughter, "Just hanging out with Alex Saturday." His smile wavers.

"Who's Alex?"

I smile, "My boyfriend? Chase, I talk about him quite often."

I can see the sparkle in his eyes fade and the smile droop. "Oh. Ok..." He drops his arm from my shoulder and doesn't speak. The bell rings and we part for our classes in silence. Me to Spanish two, him to driver's Ed...

It seems as if the only time I can ever breathe right is when I'm with Alex. I don't have to worry with him and I know no matter what I do, he isn't going to judge me for it. Except for me always putting hot sauce on everything. He laughs at me for it. Can you blame me though? It's amazing. Maybe he's the key to me surviving the jungle they call, "High School".