Chapter 20

When Will My Life Begin - Tangled

I saw him yesterday.

Alex and I were at Walmart cashing his check. We stood in line and I studied Alex's features as usual, wishing I could capture him on canvas. 

"Don't turn around," Alex growled. I knit my eyebrows together.

"Why?" Alex's face was turning a deep shade of red.

"Austynn's behind you," he said and my heart began to race. 

"Nuh uh," I said as I turned. As I turned, my eyes fell on him. He wore a gray t-shirt, his brown hair a mess, and his deep brown eyes sparkled as he talked to a girl standing next to him. I couldn't help but stare, remembering the life I once had. Alex broke my trance as he cleared his throat. He was tensed, looking as if he would pounce at any moment. I touched his arm and locked my eyes on him.

"Calm down. It'll be alright," I assured him. He tapped his foot at a fast pace and I looked to Austynn again. Some part of me hoped he'd see me, but the other part begged him not to. He was my first love and even when we had broken up, he had remained my best friend. That shortly ended when Alex and I began dating. If you couldn't already tell, Alex hates him with a passion. I never really understood why. 

Alex went about getting his money and I snuck glances. I had to admit, I missed being friends, but I knew I had to chose one or the other. Obviously I'd choose Alex any day, but I wished they could both fit into my life. He walked by and didn't even look at me and then... he was gone. I hadn't realized I was holding my breath until I let it out. I focused on Alex then, calming and reassuring him. I suppose he was right to not want me friends with an ex, but still...

Alex and I finally celebrated our one year yesterday, two weeks later. We celebrated by eating Chinese, my favorite. 

I sat down with my plate at the booth and Alex laughed.

"We come to get Chinese and you get watermelon," he shook his head.

"Hey, I got fried rice too," I testified. Like usual, I ate more than him and I teased him the rest of the night.