Chapter 33

Never Be Alone By: TheFatRat

My last day of high school was today. I didn't think I would care. I thought I would be the strong one who doesn't cry and laughs at all those who do. 

I woke up at 8:35 to be at the school by 9. I rolled out of bed lazily and threw my clothes on. I sat in the kitchen for a moment and soaked in the golden sunlight filtering in through the curtains. 8:50 came and i sighed as I got up to begin my walk to school. I took my time, listening to the sound of birds chirping, and engines revving. I had this heaviness in my step. I walked into school where all the teachers were standing at the front doors. They were all so happy and upbeat. I then walked to choir for my final exam. I stopped at the doors and took a second to breath it all in. Everyone was excitedly talking about summer plans or humming. Someone was playing the piano. The tune sounded like something you would hear in a saloon in the wild west. 

"Hey Bud!" a girl named Lexi waved me over and I smiled. We all talked and joked around.

Soon the exam was over and the bell rang. It would be the last time I would ever hear that bell. I gave Lexi a playful shove. "I'll miss you Bud." I went to walk away but was stopped by someone grabbing my wrist. I turned to see a tearful Lexi.

"Thank you for being my friend Bud," she whispered as she pulled me into a hug. I felt a few tears slip down my cheeks and wiped them away. We pulled apart and I walked to what had become one of my favorite places.

I walked into the art room up to my teacher's desk. She immediately stopped what she was doing and pulled me into a bear hug. It was at that point I began to bawl like a baby. My art teacher has helped me through so much and has been such a great friend to me. I'm tearing up as I write this. 

"I've really enjoyed having you in my class this year. You are such an amazing young woman. I hope you know that. I'm so proud of you. You did it Mackenzie," Mrs. Schultz said as she wiped away her own tears, "If you ever need anything, you just let me know."

"Thank you, for everything. You have been the best teacher I have ever had. I'm really going to miss you," I smiled at her.

"I'll be at the graduation to cheer you on. Look for me, I'll be the one yelling like a crazy lady."

"I will," I said as I waved good bye. I decided to take one last walk around the school.

As I walk, I remember everything. As I pass the Spanish room, I look towards the back desks where I first met Alex and smile. As I pass the Math room, I laugh a little remembering how frustrated I made my teacher with my negativity towards math.

As I neared the end of my walk, a friend of mine named Dylan leaned against a locker. Everyone in the school calls him wee man, but I nicknamed him Chiquito.

"Hey Chiquito," I smile. He looks up from his phone and smiles.

"What are you doing?"

"Taking my last walk around the school," I say as I pass him.

"Why?" He asks with a look crossed with confusion and disdain for the school.

I paused for a moment and looked around at the classes and lockers. 

"Because even though these four years have been hell, I guess I'm going to kinda miss this place." He smiled and nodded. "I'll see you around Chiquito," I said as I salute with two fingers and turn around and walk out those doors that held four years of my life. As the sun light hit my eyes, I breathed in the first breath of the rest of my life.