Chapter 16

Michelle's pov

"Michelle, No matter what happens between us, I'll always be there to defend you"
My heart melts. Just like it did back in highschool. It just makes me want to tell James more how I feel, but I know I can't. I just can't.
"Kinda de-ja-vu don't you think?" I ask laughing slightly. He laughs as well but winces, instantly regretting it.
"Are you okay?" I ask. He just nods his head.  We remain silent until a doctor walks in. She starts talking about a bunch of random stuff but I'm not listening. I am stuck thinking about Eldon. I just left him there. I chose the man that tipped me over edge over my best friend. Maybe James means more to me than what I thought.
"You got that?" The doctor snaps me from my thoughts.
"Hmm?"
"James can be released but he'll need someone to take care of him for a couple weeks, just help him get around while his ribs are healing. Making sure he doesn't get into any more fights" she teases. I push out a short fake laugh.
"Shouldn't he be monitored over night?" I ask. The doctor and James looks at each other with a confused expression.
"He's already been in here 36 hours. You came last night, don't you remember?"
I've been here over night? I've had so much going on I didn't even realize.
"Oh" I say and look away in embarrassment. The doctor leaves us.
"You should probably get changed" I say.
"Yeah, little problem though"
"Oh my god please don't tell me you need help getting changed?" I moan. He smiles at me. I shake my head and laugh.
"Nothing you haven't see before right?" He laughs. I take it seriously though.
"I was joking, I'm sorry" he says.
"It's fine" I lie and force a smile and a laugh. For once there's an awkward silence between us.
"I'll grab a nurse" I say and quickly rush out of the room

James pov

The drive back to campus is quiet. We barely talked. Why did I have to open my stupid mouth.
"Once we get up to your room I'll text Hunter so he can take care of you" Michelle says as she parks her car "seeing as you guys are roommates and I can't stay in your dorm"
I sigh. I really don't want Hunter babysitting me. I'd much rather Michelle's company.
We slowly make our way to my room.
"I'll just wait here until Hunter arrives" she says quietly while looking up from her phone. I remain silent, trying think of things to say.
"Did you really drop everything just because I was in hospital?" I ask. She fiddles with her hands.
"Yeah, I may have lost my best friend in the process" she says while still looking at her hands. After a moments silent she says "its crazy to think of the things we do for the people we love"
I look at her in shock, just as I am about to say something Hunter barges through the door and just like that Michelle is gone.