Chapter 25

Michelle's pov

I arrive back at my dorm and just flop on my bed. I'm so exhausted and my phone hasn't stopped buzzing for the past three hours.
I'm at my breaking point with this phone so I answer it without looking at the called ID
"Michelle is not able to come to the phone right now please leave a message after: Fuck off. There's a thing called harassment and your borderline there. Beeep"
"Michelle hunny?"
Oh god. I know that voice.
"Hi mummy" I say all cheery.
"Are you alright baby? You seem tense"
"Yeah I'm fine. I'm so tired"
"Well it's a no wonder. I got a message at 1am last night saying Alfie is love Alfie is life. Who's Alfie?"
I laugh to myself.
"What's so funny Michelle?"
"Oh nothing. He's just a friend. We were having a sleep over and he had my phone" I laugh again.
"Is he cute?"
"Yes oh my god. I think I have feelings for him. But I'm not sure what's holding me back. Like, I'm ready for a relationship but is it what I really want right now?"
"The best advice I can give you is, take your time and follow your heart. But don't forget about your instinct. I have an idea love, it's my sisters, daughters wedding next month. You know, the one we've been planning for like two years? Yeah well  she said we are invited and if you want to, you can bring a guest. Why not bring Alfie?"
I think about everything she's just said. My instinct for James was to stay clear and I was right. My instinct for Alfie is to get closer. But our friendship is so unique. What if I ruin it?
I remember talking to James about this wedding. He was supposed to come with me.
"Sounds good mum" I smile "it'll be a good break from it all you know"
"Oh brilliant. I can't wait. I'll talk to you later. Remember baby, relax and just have fun I mean, how stressful is the arts major anyway? Love you darling"
"Love you too mum"
I hang up the phone an sigh.
"What am I going to do?" I wonder aloud. My phone starts ringing again, this time I check the caller ID.
James
"Why are you calling me?" I say angrily.
"Well hello to you too" he days sarcastically.
"What do you want?" I say in no mood.
"I wanted to come speak to you. In person"
"Why?"
"I need to apologise for what I did the other night"
"Okay? You just apologised. Anything else?"
"What? No that wasn't my apology. Look I'm coming over-"
"No James. Nows not the time. I'm really tired and exhausted. I just want to sleep"
"I wonder why" he scoffs, "it's too late anyway, I'm already at your dorm"
"Are you serious?" I quickly get up and open the door. Sure enough James is standing there.
"Hi" he says sheepishly. I don't say anything.
"Can I come in?"
"Your fine there" I lean against the door frame and cross my arms over my chest.
"So about the other night" he says slowly. I know he means the kiss.
"I'm sorry, I didn't exactly mean to. I feel really bad for it"
I think about it for a moment. Was he just lying then? Does he actually not still love me?
"It's cool" I shrug. What am I doing? I'm supposed to be pissed. He totally messed me up that night. Ugh. Stupid brain.
"What?" He says confused like.
"I mean you really messed with my head buts it's fine now" is Alfie's 'kick back' attitude rubbing off on me already?
"Well uh. I'm sorry"
"It's fine"
There's a really awkward silence between us until my phone rings. We both look at it.
King Alfie
Shit.
"So uhh who's Alfie?" James says through clenched teeth.
"None of your concern" I say with attitude. He begins to speak again but I hold a finger up to his face to silence him so I can answer the phone.
"Hi Alfie" I say all cheery.
"Hey Michelle" I can hear the smile in his voice. It makes me smile.
"What's up?"
"I was wondering if you wanted to go out tonight? My parents booked this restaurant down town for themselves but they both got called into work so my mum suggested you and I go. You keen?"
"Tonight?" I look at James with a smug look. He looks almost jealous.
"I'll be there"
"Sweet. I'll text you the details"
"Alright. Talk to you later, bye"
"Bye"
I hang up and look at James. It looks as if his jaw is about to drop.
"You should probably get back to your girlfriend. Meanwhile, I've got a date to get ready for"
I shut the door in his face.
Boy this feels good to taunt James.
But am I really going on a date with Alfie?