Middle Ground

Danielle’s POV

“I have to tell you something.” I started off. I avoided eye contact from her because I was too scared.

“Sure, tell me anything.” She said.        

“I-I,” I stuttered. I took a deep breath before saying it. “I once had a crush on your crush.” I finally said.

“You what?” She nearly shouted.

“Shh!” The librarian glared at us.

We were in a library, of course the librarian would do that. Haley ignored her and stormed off the library with anger. I wasn’t going to tell her but I thought, like relationship, there is no friendship without trust. Besides, we’re best friends, but I didn’t expect her to go all loco on this. I know it was a mistake on seeing her crush while she does but you can’t control your feelings right? At least I don’t like him anymore and decided to tell her the truth but she doesn’t know my intention, of course she would go crazy like this.

I ran after Haley which was already in the second floor. Damn, she’s so fast. I was out of breath and my heart was beating so fast. It’s like running after a cheetah, you know?

“Wait!” I finally catch up with her and took her by the wrist.

“What? What do you want? I don’t care anymore, Danielle!” She almost cried.

“I’m sorry. It was a mistake, please listen to what I—”

“You know what? I've heard enough!” She pushed her away from me.

I quickly shake it off and went to my next class that is AP English. I walked in and put my bag on the seat to mark it’s taken. It’s still ten more minutes until class starts so I’m just going to stand until the bell rings. But because the English advanced class is full of geeks and outcasts, almost all of the students are already here. Don’t take me wrong, I am not an outcast or one of the geeks but I like to go early. Ok, fine. I’m Danielle Bowman. Most people would add ‘The’ before Danielle because my dad owns the whole complex or street or whatever which is called Middle Ground. I’m oh so called hot and pretty with my blonde locks and green eyes and I don’t have a model figure but I’m pretty slim so I’m pretty popular. But I didn’t care anyways.

“Hey!” One of my closest friends, Samantha, said. Or preferably, Sam.

Samantha Callaway had brown locks and brown eyes. She wasn’t close to fat but she eats all the time. I always complained why she never gains a pound after eating double cheese burger plus a milk shake. She is beautiful because she had Spanish blood in her from her great grandmother.

“Hey.” I said. Bad idea because she’s raising a brow. I used to be all cheerful but this time, I wasn’t.

“What’s wrong?” She asked.

“Nothing.” I shrugged, going back to my table.

She started to shake my hand impatiently and said. “C’mon. Please tell me.”

“I hurt my best friend and now she doesn’t want to talk to me, okay?” I nearly shouted as I feel tears swelling up my eyes which made everybody else in class stares at me.

“I’m sorry.” She hugged me.

“I’m sorry too, Sam. I told her I liked Lucas and she took it so deeply and I just— I don’t know, I—”

“Shh..” She calmed me down.

The English teacher, Mr. Edd, started to walk in and said. “Okay, class. We’re going to read another book today.” Which made none of us groan except for two popular girls or at least, bimbos.