This Thing Called 'Love'

Haley's POV

If the boy you like ask you on a date, don’t you think you would rather freak out? Because Lucas asked me out. He said it over the phone saying he’d pick me up at seven tonight. Tonight is Friday night and he asked me yesterday after the game and after getting ice cream. Danielle is currently here, helping me out with choosing out a dress.

I feel nervous as in I’m freaking out; butterflies are dancing in my stomach, my heart is racing so fast and I cannot control myself now and I can throw a gigantic chair out of the window if someone won’t calm me down.

“Dude, chill lax. It’s not like your father abandoned you a long time ago and you’re going to see him tonight.” The blonde beauty rolled her eyes.

I chuckled nervously. “It is exactly like that, Danielle. I can’t breathe, urgh—  tell me!”

She raised her brow. “Tell you what?”

“Your date; how was it? What did you do? What did you say? What did he say? Did he kiss—”

“Hey, calm down.” She said. “Okay, it was okay, I guess, we just went into this boardwalk, I said things about me, he said things about him and he only kissed me on the cheek.”

“Aw.” I cooed, even though I’m going on a date with the exact same guy.

She rolled her eyes. “You ready with your dress?”

“No..” I trailed off.

She groaned. “Why not the Speak Now purple dress; the one I gave you?”

“Okay, yeah, get that and get ready with the curling iron and the make-up.” I hurried to my closet.

“Hay-bay?” She called out with my other nickname.

“Yeah?”

She shook her head. “It’s not your wedding day, you know.”

I rolled my eyes and ignored her as I walked to my closet. I found the purple dress Taylor Swift wore for her Speak Now tour which Danielle gave me for my 16th birthday because her mother is a fashion designer and all so her mom can copy dresses; with permission, of course.

Sometimes I’m jealous of my best friend’s life because she is perfect. Her face is perfect, her eyes, her skin, her mom, her dad, her house and everything. I know she has problems sometimes— of course I do, she’s my best friend— but I don’t know she just seems perfect. Even Lucas chose her first. I’m always the second, no doubt.

I sighed to all of these thoughts and shook it all off. I went to get my Speak Now dress and I wore it. Danielle will help me with my hair and make-up so I’m all good. When I was done sliding my dress on, I let Danielle curl my hair into loose ringlets and put on light make-up on. She did it all in a good thirty minutes and when I look at my reflection on the mirror, I can’t help but I kept on playing with my curls.

“Stop touching your hair!” Danielle exclaimed.

I rolled my eyes in return and sat down at the edge of my bed beside Danielle and I saw her a bit distracted so I can’t resist asking. “Are you okay?”

She nodded and forced a smile. “I’m fine.”

“And I’m secretly a dude.” I said sarcastically. “Tell me now, Danielle.” I demanded.

She sighed. “I’m fine and I’m simply happy for you and Lucas.”

“You don’t seem too happy.” I mumbled. “Are you ..jealous?”