Chapter 2

Dan's POV

I walked through the school doors and made my way through the corridor. I was determined to find Phil. I imagined those gorgeous eyes and that adorable smile..."Oy faggot!"a boy shouted at me as he shoved past "Mind out the way would you? I don't wanna see your gay face in this school."

I clenched my fists and walked past trying to keep calm, but I could feel tears welling up as my peers stood around me laughing. Eventually it got too much and I ran into the bathroom in tears and locked myself in one of the cubicles.

TW: self harm

Tears streamed down my face as I reached into my bag and pulled out a compass. I rolled up my sleeve and made three deep cuts into my arm. The blood ran onto my shirt and I rocked back and forth silently sobbing. I was so disgusted with myself.

Suddenly the door opened and I heard footsteps outside the cubicle. I held my breath trying to stay as quiet as I could. "Hello?" A familiar voice spoke knocking on the cubicle door. "I saw what happened in the corridor, are you ok?" I remained silent trying to figure out whose voice was speaking to me.

After a minute or so I stood up and opened the door to find the same blue eyes I had fallen in love with just a few days ago. "Phil..." I whispered, realising he was now staring at my ruined arms. But to my surprise, he didn't insult me or question it. He just walked up to me and hugged me for what felt like forever.

"You don't need to do this to yourself" he said looking me in the eye "I can help you through this." I shook my head and twiddled my fingers. "You barely know me." I said looking down at my feet. "Well let's take you to reception and get you out of this dump. How about we go for coffee?" I nodded and he lead me to reception.

He took me to the local coffee shop and ordered us both a coffee each. "How long have you...self harmed?" He asked with a quiver in his soft voice. "About a year or two" I said shamefully.

"If you don't mind me asking" Phil said "why do you cut yourself?" I gulped and stared into his eyes. "I'm hated by everyone. They bully me for who I am and make my life a living hell. I can barely go anywhere without being shouted at...they make me hate myself." There was a prolonged silence before Phil cleared his throat and said "But why do they hate you?" I took a deep breath and said "It's because I'm gay."

Phil looked at me with a knowing smile. "Me too" he laughed. I smiled at him feeling more at ease. A weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Maybe I did have a chance with the gorgeous boy with the ocean blue eyes...