Chapter 3

Phil's POV

I lay my head on my pillow and closed my eyes. That day had been great. I was quite shocked that Dan was gay, I didn't think he was into boys. Maybe one day he'd date me? I thought to myself. No, don't be stupid Phil, there's no way someone as gorgeous as him could ever like me in that way.

I pulled out my sketchbook from under my bed and grabbed a pencil. I still had to do my art project that I had been putting off for weeks. The theme was "happiness" but I couldn't think of much that made me happy. I thought about it and eventually decided on drawing a couple on a bench - love always seemed to make me smile.

I drew two figures gazing into each other's eyes sitting beside a river. It was only when I had finished drawing that I realised that the two figures resembled me and Dan. I sighed and tore the page out of my book, scrunching into a ball and throwing it into the bin. I needed to get my head out of the clouds. Dan just didn't like me like that.

I overheard my parents talking over the sound of the blaring television and I crept downstairs so I could hear more. "Gay marriage in America...this is bloody ridiculous John" My mum said to my Dad. "It's bad enough being legal in this country..." My father grumbled. I could feel my eyes stinging and my face burning. I stormed up the stairs and wrapped myself under my covers.

They're never going to accept me I thought to myself. I don't want to come out to them, not when they're like this about it. I cried myself to sleep thinking about it. I really didn't have a chance with Dan.