Chapter 7

Phil's POV

I took a deep breath. Was I really about to do this? "Come on Phil, they've got to find out at some point." I whispered to myself. I stood up straight and opened the door to the living room.

"Mum? Dad?" I said to my parents. "Yes Phil?" My father replied. "I need to tell you something." I looked down at my feet, the nerves eating me alive. "Go ahead my boy, sit down." He replied.

I sat down on the sofa and looked at them both. This is it Phil I thought to myself. Don't mess this up. "I'm gay" I said the words spilling out of my mouth. There was no going back now.

I saw the smile wipe off my Dad's face and he looked at me in surprise. My mum burst into tears. "Not my Phil" she said crying. "This isn't you".

She ran out of the room and silence filled the air. My dad said nothing and he shook his head as if he was disappointed in me. "I'm sorry Dad." I said as a tear splashed onto my cheek. "I suppose it's not really your fault is it? Come give us a hug." I sat beside him sobbing in to his t shirt. It had been a shock for everyone in the family, including myself.

My dad talked to my mum in the kitchen whilst I sat nervously in the living room. I could hear them bickering about it, trying to keep their voices down. Eventually they returned to the room.

"I'm sorry Phil" My mother said in an apologetic tone. "I guess it just took me by surprise. But we're going to try and support you even though this is difficult for us." She gave me a weak smile. "Thank you mum." I replied smiling back at her.

"You got a boyfriend then?" My dad asked sitting up in his chair. "Yeah I have." I replied. "His name's Dan. You'd like him, he's really nice." My Dad nodded in approval. "We'll have to meet him at some point." He said with a wink. I smiled. Things had gone much better than expected.