Chapter 10

Dan's POV...One Year Later
TW: mention of self harm
I gazed out of the window from our apartment and a smile grew across my face. The sun was shining brightly as I looked across the beautiful city. One year I thought to myself... How did it go so quickly? I thought back to school - to bullies and confusion and pain. I rolled up my right sleeve to see my arm; everything healed. The hurt seemed so far away now. The scars gave me confidence, surprisingly enough - a year ago I hid them in shame and hated them, but now...I loved them. Obviously I didn't love the pain I went through - there was nothing worse than that - but the scars reminded me of how far I had come. Just one year ago...it still shocked me. Things were finally looking up.

"Dan!" I heard his familiar voice come from the other room. "We've got to go, really, we're gonna be late!" I jumped. "CRAP!" I cried - I almost forgot! I ran into my bedroom and got my bag and my phone; ready to go. I glanced at the rainbow flag on my wall. I couldn't not bring it - I mean, its pride month! I carefully took it down and held it in my hands to see all the colours in their full glory...it really was beautiful. "DAN COME ON!" I chuckled. "Coming!"

Phil's POV

We sat in the stuffy taxi, hand in hand, for hours almost. The traffic was unbelievable. I looked out of the window to see the banners and flags and crowds of people. My hands started shaking and sweating. "Phil?" I looked into Dan's eyes, trying ever so hard not to cry. "Phil it's going to be okay. It will be people just like you and me - just like us" I nodded and he squeezed my hand tightly.

I opened the taxi door. Suddenly, everything came alive. There were bright colours everywhere, people cheering, waving, and smiling. It was so overwhelming. All of my senses were captivated and I finally felt accepted. This was my home. A strange feeling overcame me. A sort of...pride. Yes, exactly! I looked over to Dan - he had a smirk across his gorgeous face. "Dan?" I stuttered. "Yeah?" He turned to face me. "I...I really love you" Dan chuckled. "Well thank god for that! Imagine if I took you to pride and you weren't even into me!" I giggled, embarrassed. He pulled me in for a long embrace. "I love you too, Phil. Happy pride.