The other side

The sight was different. There wasn't light,the forest wasn't green anymore and all the color just seemed to fade away. Is this really the same place I lived in for so many years?

“Well of course it is.“ Lauren, who was casually sitting on the grass answered.

“Where did you come from?“ I asked,surprised to see her there.

“I wish I knew the answer for that.“ She sighed.

“Where's Laura? ...... not that I care or something...“ I asked sitting beside her.

“It's okay,lover boy. We all know you care.She's at the river.“

“We? Who's ‘we‘“

“You don't know us...“

“Why are you here now?“ I questioned.

“You only have a few more days to live... and so do I.“ She sighed,looking at her surroundings as if it was the last time she saw them.

“Why?“

“If you want to know more,ask Laura. I kind of need to go.“ She stood up and ran in the direction where she came from when I saw her the very first time.

“Laur?“ I spoke,spotting a silhouette in the distance.

“Ross! I'm going to do something that you probably wouldn't want me to do.“She said,then hugged me.

"I ...am not mad anymore. I'm just confused. I don't know what's going on. Why do I have to die?" Although I mentioned that I'm not upset with her,I need to say that the last thing I wanted to do was to hug her right now. I suddenly felt empity and my head was hurting. There was too much to take in.

"It's...a really long story..." She sighed.

"Laura. My life is on the line. We don't have time to have secrets. Don't you think it was about time I found out?!"

"I know. I just... I hoped that I could change Lauren's mind if I tried hard enough. I mean... even before you came I really tried to convince her. She will die as well so I believed that she will keep you safe and hidden so she could carry on with her life. But apparently Lauren is truly devoted to that task. She believes this is her purpose in this world."
Laura tried explaining.

"Tell me everything,not only what you think I'd like to hear. Why does that girl want me dead?"

"It is not her choice either. Ross. Do you still remember why you came here in the first place?" She asked.

"Yeah... My parents had a drinking problem,so the three of us always ended up being hurt,but last time itwas even worse and I just couldn't stand it anymore and I ran away and then I bumped into you and since then I had no intention of leaving this place,so I have absolutely no idea what happened to them." I explained.

"Well have you ever wondered why they started drinking?"

"Not really. I was just a child. I wanted to be able to play with other kids and have someone take care of me. Plus...they were incredibly selfish people,so I imagined it was because they didn't want a child and I was just a mistake."

"It's not like that. Thou,it is true that you're the reason why they were the way they were. But it is not what you think. Long ago, when your mother was pregnant with you,your father had to come here to take some pictures. You probably don't remember that,but he was a professional photographer. And he saw a girl. She was beautiful,so he asked for a picture,but what he wasn't aware of was that she wasn't a human being..."

Flashback:

"You dare approach me?! Stupid human! And ask for a favour? Who do you think you are?!" She came closer and circled the man.

"Ma'am please calm down. I did that know that this would offend you. I am truly sor-"

"Shut it! You must pay. Haven't you been told that you shouldn't come to this forest? That you might get hurt even thou there are no wild animals around? You are quite stupid I must say." She started laughing.

The man was terrifyed as he realised that the woman was nowhere near to being a human being. Her eyes were glowing red and her skin was so white!

"Now... what do you say about giving me your mind? It's truly unfortunate that you're not smart ,but I am so hungry and bored that even your brain eould do. Do not worry. You will not die. Right away. I will not eat your brain. Only your mind and memories."

"What?! Wait!"

"Is there something wrong? Are you afraid of dying? Oh... Perhaps.. There's something else you could give me." She put her hands on his head."I want what you have home, but you don't know yet."

Thinking that his wife,must've bought something,he agreed and ran home,only to find out that his wife gave birth to their child at home,because the ambulance got there too late.

End

"So you mean... I am the thing that he did not know that was in his house yet?"

"Yes,that is you. And once you turned 18,you had to be offered as a sacrifice. I believe the woman knew you were going to have a great mind,so she decided to take you instead of him. I think you can imagine how they felt once they found out that their only child was going to become a sacrifice. Your mother was supposed to have other 4 children, but they never got to be born and you can not know the pain a man and a woman go through when they loose their child,never mind offering him as a sacrifice to a demon."

"Oh my God..." I just don't know. I am...

"So... Lauren heard about your story. She is a demon as well,but a higher rank than I am. She is a pure blood,incredibly powerful and mercyless. Somehow, your story managed to make her rethink he action. She has killed many humans,not thinking about the pain their families would suffer. A demon like me,can only touch their souls and eat their energy,making them bad people, but she could make them go insane and slowly kill them. In order to end the era of our kind, we need the blood of a sacrifice like you and a pure blood like her. If you both die at the same time, in a certain place and we get our hands on your blood,we will all become mere humans. That's why you both must die and she does not intend to rethink her actions."

A moment of silence passed. I let it sink in...

"Laur?"

"Yes?" She spoke,almost crying.

"You like humans,right?"

"Of course."

"Then,if I die you too will become a human,right?"

"Yeah."

"Then I guess we should say our farewells..."

It has been more than a year.