Chapter 4

Charlotte's POV

I groan as I start to come to. I look around, blinking my eyes quickly. I'm in a room that's not a motel room. I don't remember going home with anyone. I get off the bed happy that I still have clothes on. I locate my backpack making sure everything is in it. I open the bedroom door and walk out of it. God this place is huge. At least my hangover is gone. I walk through a hall looking for the exit. I make a couple turns before I find the front door. I open it to reveal sunlight. I blink my eyes to adjust. I look around to see trees all around. I sigh before looking around for a road or someplace towards civilization. I walk on a gravel road as I notice houses around the large house. I look at the sky to guess its getting late. I head towards what I assume civilization is. I walk on the road until I'm met with the town I was in earlier. I put my thumb up hoping for someone to stop on a four way light. I wait a while watching the sun go down a little bit. Nobody stops so I sigh and sit down on the sidewalk. I light a cigarette up and wonder where I'm gonna sleep tonight. What I'm I supposed to do now. I don't have anywhere or anyone to go to. I belong nowhere in this screwed up world. I don't register that I'm crying until it's to late. I walk into the town more and sit on a bench when I reach the park. I look up at the sky to watch the stars come out. I drift off to sleep after a while.

***************next morning****************

I awake to the sun shining in my face. I groan as I sit up. I look at my watch to see its 7 in the morning. I yawn loudly as I remember my mission. I have to find my brother. I get up off the bench to look for a pay phone. I locate one a way up the street. I rummage through my bag for change. I walk into the booth and put in money for a couple minutes. I dial my social worker number. She answered on the third ring. I was relieved to hear her voice. I sigh quietly before asking "hello I would like to know the location of Jacob O'Conner please. He's my brother and I'm trying to find him." I hear her typing in the background before rambling off an address that I wrote down. I thank her before hanging up. I look wondering what todo next. I walk down the street hoping to find a library for a map or something. I eventually find one, I enter getting weird looks from others but I just brushed them off. I walk up to the help desk. I ask the lady for a map and she kindly directs me to a table. I look at the map closes. I find the address quickly as I realize it's fairly close. I thank the lady before heading out of the library. I grab breakfast at a cafe before asking her where the address is. She gives me directions and i head off again. I walk a ways before making sure I was presentable. I find the house after a while. I stand on the porch quickly rethinking my plan. Second guessing myself. I'm about to leave but my fist reacts as its not connected to me. I find myself knocking and as I hear no reply I turn to leave. My foots on the last step turning to leave when the door opens. I turn around hoping for the person I was looking for. My hopes fall as a girl a couple years younger than me opens the door. I furrow my brows in frustration. I still face her and put a smile on my face. I reach into my backpack pulling out a photo thats wrinkled and old from years with me. I show the girl the picture pointing out the boy. I inquire if he lives here or not. Her face lights up in realization after a moment. She smiles at me before ushering me inside the house. It's nice and I was glad I took a shower this morning. The girl tells me to sit on the couch. I hesitantly lower myself on the couch. I set my backpack on the floor hiding the photo away in it. The girl comes back over and sits on a chair. I sigh for the hundredth time today. Nobody speaks as awkward silence fills the room. I ask the girl "So is Jacob here or did I not get the right house or something? B/c I don't want to bother you." The girl instantly shakes her head no and says I'm not bothering her. I smile as I hear a door open. I turn my head towards it to see someone I'd never thought I'd see again. There stands Jacob, my little brother that's not so little anymore. I stand up and walk towards him pulling him into a tight hug. I smile at him as happy tears roll down my face. I sniffle before pulling back and wiping my eyes. I check him over for anything out of the ordinary. Jacob looks at me weirdly before I start to talk. "I love you Jacob always remember that. I just wanted to know that your safe. You'll always have me. I've aged out. You can come with me if you want. I'll make a better life for us no drugs, no alcohol, and no guys. I'll get us a place and a job for myself. Please Jacob your the only thing I have left in this world. We can live wherever you want. I'm gonna go now but call me at this number. I love you so much." I kiss his forehead and hug him before I pick up my backpack. I walk out there front door. I walk down the street of houses and into town. I grab a newspaper and a motel room. I thank the lady before setting up camp in the room. I opened the newspaper to look for apartments and job. I still have about a thousand dollars left from my savings. I take out a marker and circle a couple one bedroom cheap apartments. I then think about a job I need something easy but pays well. I yawn loudly as I look at the time to see it's getting late. I change into some pj's and then turn my alarm on. I fall asleep instantly.

Nightmare

The man comes towards me with a knife in his hand. He slaps me a crossed the face hard. I land on the floor on my elbow. The man pulls my shirt up and starts to carve into my skin. I scream out in pain. I beg for him to stop or for someone to hear my cries. The man laughs at me as black spots appear in my eyes. I try to fight it knowing what will come if I fall asleep. The need overwhelms me but I still fight. I hear things outside but I welcome the darkness. My last thought is "it'll never stop happening"

I awake in a cold sweat with tears coming out of my eyes. I pull my knees to my chest as I try to block out the memory. I get up off the bed and I know what will help me. I change into some sweats with a sweatshirt. I walk out of the room and head outside. I cant stop thinking about the dream no memory. I suppress the need to do anything and think about what I have todo today. I smile at the thought of Jacob coming to be with me. I walk back to my room and hear a phone ringing. I hurriedly pick it up knowing only one person who would call me. I mutter a hello. He starts to say stuff to fast. I manage to calm him down before he says the word come and hangs up. I hurriedly put clothes on grabbing the room key. I throw clothes on before exiting the room and running. I run the way that's imprinted in my mind. I keep running until I see him. He's sitting on the curb running his hands through his hair. I calmly walk towards him and sit next to him. I wrap my arms around his shoulder and wait for him to speak. Eventually he starts "They want to adopt me officially but I want to be with you. Your my sister the only family I have left. I've been living with them for a while now and there the nicest family I've been placed with. I will always love you and I'm so happy that you found me. I want to be a part of a real family. Please don't be mad at me." I sit there shocked before I stand up and hug him tight. I whisper in his ear the words I love you before handing him a big yellow envelope. I then kiss his fore head before walking away. I try to keep the tears in as I walk away from the only good thing in my life. I know now that I have to leave. I have to make a life for myself and only trust myself.

***********Authors note***************

This chapters sad but just vote and comment on the stories .