6. Attack

© Kelly Faulk 2013

Chapter 6:  Attack

He spared me.  Did my tears move him?  I didn’t care.  I was happy to be alive.

As soon as I collected myself enough, I called Ryne to come get me.  He nodded and hung up; he and Tríka would ask questions later.  I stayed on my bed, crying until they got there.

Some reporters spotted us coming into the capital.  Before they took any pictures, Ryne roared that he’d snap the necks of whoever printed this.  They had to listen to him, so they tried to ask questions instead.  I was tempted to turn into something to scare them away, but I had to obey Ryne’s rules, too.

Tríka had her arm around my shoulders, and led me into my room.  Ryne followed, and none of us spoke.  I was still crying.

I sat down on my bed, Tríka sat in front of me, and Ryne leaned against the wall.  They waited until I was finished crying to ask me anything.

“What happened, Vanessa?” Tríka softly asked.  Her voice was so sweet and caring.

“I-I was having a d-dream that I-I was dancing with my t-t-team again.  T-Their guys appeared, and t-t-they continued to dance.  Then, they just-just fell to the f-floor and…acted l-l-like they were physically b-b-being tortured.  When I looked up…I-I saw R-Reagan.  It was just us two-two then.  I felt like I was b-being lifted, and when I woke up…I was on the w-wall above my headboard.”  I paused to look at their reactions.

Tríka looked confused.  Ryne’s eyes were wide, like he couldn’t believe what I was saying.  “You don’t sleep walk or use your powers while you’re asleep,” Tríka carefully said.

“I know.  I don’t know how it happened, but I was pinned against the wall.  I couldn’t move or scream.  And…he was there, his teeth grown out again.  I think he somehow did this to me….” I had to stop to cry a little more.

“What did he do?  If he hurt you, Vanessa, I’ll go out and kill him myself,” Ryne offered as he crouched down beside me.

I shook my head.  “He didn’t hurt me.  He didn’t do anything but stare at me.  When I was finally able to talk, I asked him to not do anything.  And then, he left.”

I felt my lip tremble before I burst out into tears again on my great-grandmother’s shoulder.  She tried to console me the best she could.  I heard Ryne walk out a couple minutes later.  Maybe it was hours.  I didn’t hear him or Tríka if either spoke to each other.

“Stay here tonight, Vanessa,” Tríka whispered as she lay me down.  “It might be best for you to move back in over here.”

“How?  I don’t have my stuff.  It’s all over at Reagan’s….”

I didn’t hear her answer.  I passed out as soon as I finished talking.  Crying had exhausted me.

Somehow, I was able to sleep.  I had many different nightmares about Reagan’s teeth.  I don’t know how I didn’t wake up.

But when I did wake up, I saw that it was one…in the afternoon.

I slunk out of bed, went to the bathroom, and washed my face before going to the kitchen.  Ryne was sitting at the table, eating a pastry and reading the paper on his hologram.  Tríka was in the living room watching the Rage News.

“Why didn’t you wake me up?” I asked as I fixed myself some coffee.

“You needed a break.  I summoned the Court, but you were so out of it that you didn’t know you were being called.  Spencer and Solange want to talk to you.”