16: Divulgement

© Kelly Faulk 2013

Chapter 16:  Divulgement

Life was absolutely wonderful with Talimo gone.  I had control over all the countries he had taken over, but I let them go on like normal, as long as their leaders reported to me.  And a lot of times, I had members of my Court answering them so I won’t be overwhelmed with reports.

Tracen was slightly traumatized by the incident, but with some help, he was able to get over what had happened, and was able to cope with it as he grew older.  He did wonderful in school, and was the perfect child any mother could ask for.

However, Blaze was proving to be my problem child.  She did very well in school, graduated in the top five percent of her class, went to college, obtained a degree in business management, and opened up several different types of stores.  Once she moved out and had her own money was when the problems emerged.

I think it was my woman’s intuition that told me about her behavior.  Her cycle was in March, and she had to come home for us to protect her—we found out that born hybrid females only have their cycle once a year, most likely for the rest of their life.  When she walked in, she had on sunglasses.

I snatched them off of her to find her eyes so bloodshot I could only see red and black.  Alcohol was on her breath, and I could smell something was off about her.  She tried to go around me to get to her room before I knocked her against the wall.

I was about to hit her again when Reagan grabbed my wrist.  “What are you doing, Vanessa?”

“Look at her eyes!  Smell her!”

“I see that.  But she’s not a child anymore.  You can’t hit her like that.”

I glanced back at my daughter to see she was expressionless, blankly staring past me.  I took her bag off her shoulder, and sniffed it to find two bags of cocaine stuffed between her clothes.  After I threw her bag back, I flushed the drugs down the toilet.  She never once tried to stop me.  Reagan helped her up, and shut her in her room while I cried on the couch.

After he sat beside me, I said, “I don’t like this, Reagan.”

“I don’t like it, either, Nessa, but she’s twenty-two.  She needs to learn some things on her own.”

“How’s she going to learn if she can barely understand what’s going on?  It was like she didn’t know or care who we are….”

“She’ll be fine, Vanessa.  Just let everything take its course, and she’ll be immune to it.”

“She’s still part Rage.  I’m going to have a talk with Tracen.”  As I told our son to come over, he rolled his eyes.  Tracen was my baby, my little survivor.  I couldn’t help I was a little more attached to him than Blaze.  That was her father’s job.

He looked a little worried when he showed up.

 Tracen seemed to be completely shocked about his sister’s actions, so I knew that he didn’t know what she was up to away from home.  And I talked with him about how I didn’t want for him to follow in her footsteps.  He told me to not worry about him, that he didn’t feel the need to do drugs or drink excessively.  I was worried about him living on his own now, but…I trusted him.  Tracen was my baby boy after all.

I got through to one child, but the other just wouldn’t listen.  Blaze kept up with her habits, not caring about herself or those around her.  Reagan didn’t seem that concerned about her, but I know that he wished she wouldn’t do any of that anymore.

It went on for about three hundred years.

The only thing that made me happy was Tracen finally finding someone he wanted to marry.  Her name was Alva, but I was kind of put off that she was a Hate.  How he convinced her to marry him, I have no idea.  But they quickly started their family, giving me two beautiful grandchildren, Donatella and Lazzaro.  I didn’t like the fact that I was now a grandmother, but…Tracen was happy with his life, so I was happy.  Now if only my other child could find her way onto the right path.