Trouble in the Good Life

The next day I had a fun idea.  "Anyone want to go to the beach?"  Everyone decided that that would be a great idea.  I put on my yellow bikini with a pink cover up. I tied my hair up in a high ponytail and practically jumped down the stairs.  It was the first beach day we have had in the three days of summer so far, so naturally I was super excited.  When we got there, we swam and made sandcastles and had all kinds of good times.  It was a really good day, that is, until I got the text.

    It was a text from Mali that read,  "Hey Stori you'll never believe this!  I posted the selfies we took with your parents yesterday, and we've gone viral sister!" Under it there was a Twitter link. I forced myself to click it.  It was a selfie of Mali and I in the front, holding the camera, and my whole family in the back doing peace signs and duck faces. It had 25,000 favorites, 15,000 retweets and more replies than Twitter can count.  I read the first reply that came up, "Is that the little issue that took Sqaishey away from us?"  I forced myself to read the next, "The one on the right should just go die in a hole."  The rest consisted of words I wasn't allowed to repeat.

   Squid was the only one who wasn't in the water at the time, so I called him over.  "Squid," I said feeling like I was going to cry or my throat was going to explode from holding it in, "I..."  I couldn't talk and had back the tears, so I just showed him the phone.  He stared at it for a moment.  "They don't mean this Stori Bun, they really don't...I swear."  He pulled me into a hug, and I'd never been so happy to have a hug in my entire life.  I cried into his shoulder for a while.  Eventually, he called Mom, Dad, and Amy out of the water and explained it to them.  Amy looked sad and hugged me too.  Dad looked like he wanted to kill Mali.  Mom just stared at the phone, shocked, and whispered something that I couldn't hear.  What if these people come to find me?  What if they try to kill me? What if... Slowly the world seemed to get farther and farther away and I started to panic more and more and more, until everything went black.