He's Awake

I waited in the hospital room for him to wake up.  My leg was fractured, so I had to wear a huge cast. My wrists were wrapped as well from the rope burns.  I remembered what the doctor had said the night before when he told me I had to share a hospital room with him due to overcrowding.  I asked, "Is he going to live?  I didn't even get to thank him."  The doctor replied, "The bullet in his leg won't kill him, but whether or not he bleeds to death is another story."  I watched him sleep, completely unconscious.  My family went home last night because the doctor wanted to keep me a day longer.  I saw his eyes open.  

   "It's you!"  he said, softly. For the first time I noticed he hd an American accent.   "It's me!" I replied.  "I never properly introduced myself.  My name is Ebby."  I knew from the minute he woke up what I first wanted to ask him, "Why did you take a bullet for me?  I didn't even know you until I had to call the ambulance."  He sighed. "You really want to know my story?"  I nodded.  "Years ago, I stole things and broke into places and made a lot of mistakes in my life. I never got told off. I'm not really sure why. They assumed I'd grow out of it.  I didn't. The police got ahold of me and I escaped.  Then I saw that my father was.....kidnapping people.  I saw many people come and go through that room. I could never bring myself to do anything.  Then, I saw you.  I couldn't watch you get killed like everybody else did. I shot my father to save you.  I...loved you Stori. Immediately.  I still do. You saved my life."  I was shocked. "How did I save your life?"  He laughed. "You called the ambulance to come and save my life."  I didn't know what to say.  "I think...I might love you too."