Chapter Twenty Three

Peyton's POV

"Why do you think that you're so upset over breaking up with Riley?" Ella asked me nonchalantly when I entered the bus. I sat down next to her and watched as Riley went back inside the building.

"Because it's a break up." I said simply. "I guess I didn't realize that no matter what the circumstances; a breakup is a breakup. It's gonna hurt."

Ella nodded and pursed her lips. "Don't take this the wrong way... But I told you so."

I laughed and Ella smiled. It was good that I could laugh at this because I knew that meant I'd be okay. I just didn't want to cry anymore, but I was still hurting. More than anyone knew.

"I really don't know how I'm going to survive the next couple weeks of tour." I told Ella honestly.

"Well," she started, "you went into this knowing it would end, and you also went into it saying you'd still be friends after. Now, if I know you as well as I think I do, then I think you're going to keep your word."

"But it won't be the same." I whined.

"No, it won't be." Ella spoke honestly, as if her purpose was to hurt me. But it wasn't. She was just being straight forward with me. Which is why she's my best friend. "So, you're going to have to fake smile your way through it. I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault," I said as she opened up a magazine she was reading earlier,"you warned me."

"Yup. I did." She said with her eyes on the glossy page in front of her. I chuckled and opened my phone.

My first instinct was to ignore the missed calls from my parents, but then I realized that wasn't like me. So I called them. And my dad and I talked about the baseball game that had been on TV that night, how he missed me, and how he was excited to start buying me new furniture for my new place with Alexandria. My mom asked me about my birthday, and how I liked my presents, and how Riley was.

I sat up in my bunk, which I crawled into so I wouldn't bother Ella with my boring conversation, and sighed.

"Mom," I started."I have to tell you something." I told her about what happened between Riley and I, and she did her best. She didn't bad mouth Riley, my mom is too nice to do that, and I'm glad she didn't. Because there's not many bad things to say about him, if any. But she did say something that I kept repeating in my head after we hung and until I fell asleep.

She asked me if it was really over, if we were for sure not getting back together. And I told her I wasn't sure, but it didn't look good.

"Oh, honey." My mom sighed over the phone. "You may think it's done, but your story isn't over yet."

"It's not?" I swallowed the lump that rose in my throat. Talking about Riley and I is one thing, talking about it to my mom-over the phone and the added fact that we haven't seen each other in a month and a half-was another thing altogether. "Because it really feels like it."

"I know, but I don't think it is. I've seen you two together. The way he looks at you, and the way you look at him. And the way you talk about him." She sighed. "The truth is, I should probably be worried that my 18 year old daughter looks so in-"

"I'm not." I cut her off quickly. I sighed and tried to form a proper sentence, but it wasn't working out too well. "We're not... He's... And I... It's, um, not that. Not like that. I'm not in love, mom."

"If you say so," she said. It was obvious that she didn't believe me and I asked if we could change the subject. The topic of love makes me panicky, especially when it comes to Riley. Yes, I love him. I care about him a lot. I love him as a person, as a close friend, and even a best friend. But I'm not in love with him. I'm not even sure I know what love is. I've been used, a lot, multiple times. And every time it grew harder for me to believe I'd be finding love any time soon.