Chapter Twenty

Peyton's POV

The past couple of days turned into a blur of Starbucks, screams, laughing, and rushing on and off the tour buses. Tour would be a lot easier if you could plan it out more precisely. But Jack has explained to me more than a thousand times that it doesn't only depend on distance and location, but when and if certain venues can have you. In my opinion it shouldn't be up to the venues, it should be up to the bands. Any place is lucky to have ATL play there. But, then again, that could just be the proud little sister in me talking.

"I think this is a horrible idea." Ella whispered all panicky. We were in the back room, watching chick flicks and talking. The guys couldn't handle anymore of our movies and they were all up front. I was thankful because now I finally had the opportunity to tell Ella about me meeting Jason tomorrow.

"Okay, El, you don't have to whisper." I mock whispered and laughed. "And why is it such a horrible idea?"

Ella looked at me like my IQ dropped significantly. "Are you crazy? Things have been so weird between you and Riley these past couple of days-" A look spread across her face. It was both panic and shock. "Is that why things have been so weird? Are you thinking about getting back with Jason?!"

"Okay, you really need to stop whispering. It's weird." I chuckled. "And, no, that's not why things have been weird between Riley and I. And, again, no I am not thinking about getting back with Jason."

Ever since my birthday, Riley had been acting so strange. It wasn't anything big; like arguing or ignoring. We hadn't done any of that. But it was the little things that happened like falling into random lapse of silence, or not really acting like a couple. He always used to hold my hand when we'd walk, and kiss my cheek every chance he got, or put his arm around me when we were sitting near each other.

The past couple of days it had been like we were just really good friends who kissed. Which, I mean, we kind of were. But things were different now and I didn't know why. I guess it's something I'll have to get used to anyway. We only have about a month left.

Ella paused Friends With Benefits, one of her favorite movies, and turned to me.

"If you don't want him back, why are you meeting up with him?"

I pondered it for a moment, but then realized there was nothing to ponder over. "Honestly? I'm not sure. Closure maybe? I don't know, I didn't really think it through."

Lately I haven't been thinking many things through at all. But isn't that what I'm supposed to be doing? I mean, you only live once, right?

Ella raised her eyebrow at me. "Closure? I don't know about you, but I got plenty of closure when Riley punched him."

I scoffed. "Why would you need closure?" I shook it off. "Look, he wants to talk, we can talk. It's no big deal, El."

She stared at me stubbornly before sighing. I knew it was hard to understand why I was doing what I was doing, I didn't really understand it myself. But Jason wanted to talk to me for some random and unknown reason, why protest? It wouldn't do either of us any good.

"Fine." Ella shrugged, even though I knew she was still confused. "Fine. Go meet Jason, go get closure. But what are you going to tell Riley?"

I scrunched up my eyebrows. "What do you mean? It's not like he owns me."

"Well, duh." Ella rolled her eyes. "But what if he, I don't know, gets hurt by it?"

"I'm sure he'll be fine." She gave me a doubtful look. "Riley won't care. What could possibly happen to him because of this? What could happen to anyone?"