Chapter Twenty Six

Peyton's POV

I woke up later on in the night, still on the floor. Ella was not in the hotel room, which worried me until I saw the texts on my phone explaining that she was with Connor. I changed into my pajamas and climbed under the heavy covers, instantly falling asleep again.

When I woke up the next morning Ella was in the bathroom curling her hair. She smiled at me when I appeared behind her in the mirror.

"Hello, Sleeping Beauty." Ella said as she twirled another lock of hair around the curling iron. "Feeling rested?"

I squinted, my eyes watering from the fluorescent lighting in the room. "I'm feeling like I have to get the hell out of here."

Ella frowned and finished her current curl before putting the iron down. She turned to me, arms crossed, leaning against the sink.

"Peyton... I saw R-"

"Please don't say it." I held a hand up. "Please."

"I think you guys are being stupid."

"And I think I'm going to go get some water." I said as I quickly walked out of the bathroom. I grabbed my wallet and slipped on my slippers before making my way into the hall. When I rounded the corner at the end of the long hall I recognized the back of his head instantly. I would have turned right around and left, but he was already turning to face me.

"Peyton." Toby said, startled. He stared at me oddly for a second before smiling. "Hey."

"Hi." I walked towards him and he shifted himself out between the vending machine and I.

Toby leaned against the machine while I got my money out. The awkward silence felt physically unbearable.

"Did you sleep well?" Was the only thing I could ask.

Toby smiled. "Yeah, fine. How about you?"

I hesitated. "Like a baby."

"Really?"

"No." I admitted. I glanced at Toby and we both chuckled. I put the dollar in the machine and pressed the two buttons. "I think we both know I didn't."

"If it makes you feel any better," he said as the bottle of water fell into the slot,"neither did he."

I smiled wanly. "I'm not sure how that makes me feel. But thank you."

"No problem." Toby patted me lightly on the back before he began to walk away. I put in the second dollar, pushing the buttons again, and a second water bottle came out. "Peyton?"

I turned, both bottles in hand. "What's up?"

"My brother is a great songwriter," Toby said honestly,"but sometimes even the best writers don't know how to use their words."

I turned back around and set the waters down on the counter, unhooking and taking off my bracelet in the process. I turned to Toby and walked towards him smiling.

"You're 15 and you sound like you're a 26 year old philosophy major." I stood in front of him and he smiled at me as well. "Riley is lucky to have a little brother like you."

"He's lucky to have a girlfriend like you."

I smiled and took Toby's hand. I left the bracelet in his palm, and closed his fingers over it.

"That's sweet," I said, letting go of his hand. He peered down at the bracelet. "But I'm not his girlfriend anymore."

"Peyton he won't take this-" Toby tried to explain.