Chapter Fifteen

Peyton's POV

"No, Caroline. Peyton doesn't know." Was the first thing I heard when I had made my way down the hall. The statement made me quiet my steps. I stopped when I reached the end of the wall. I just hoped Riley couldn't see me or wouldn't get up and turn this way.

There was silence as Caroline answered on the other side of the phone."I don't see what the big deal is here."

The big deal? The big deal was that Peyton does not know something, when Peyton should probably know something. Why doesn't Peyton know it? ... Why does Peyton keep talking in third person?

"She is not a bitch." I heard Riley say coldly. Did Caroline just call me a bitch?! She doesn't even know me! I may be a little jealous of her and Riley, but I haven't called her a bitch. Yet.

Another paused, but I don't want to hear anymore. I backed down the hall quietly and made my footsteps louder.

"Riley?" I called out as if I hadn't heard anything he just said. I peaked around the corner and forced a smile."Hey, the guys were wondering where you've been."

"Oh," he pulled the phone away from his ear,"uh, tell them I'll be there in a minute?"

My forced smile stayed in place as to not give him any doubts. "Okay. But, hurry up. I'm about to take your spot in the band." I winked before turning back around quickly. Okay, maybe the wink was a little too much. But by the sound of Riley's laugh, I think it was fine.

I made my way back to the room and walked in. It felt like I had been holding my breath because when I got back inside I took a huge gulp of air. Why was I so angry about this? I feel like I've been asking myself questions a lot these days and I really shouldn't be questioning myself so much.

"You okay?" Braiden asked me.

"Just peachy." I said quietly. I went back to the bed and picked up Riley's guitar.

Riley's POV

I opened the door to the hotel room and even from outside I had heard the music. And I knew what song they were beginning to play. What I didn't know was who was playing it. Braiden and Connor were playing and Thomas sat on his box, leading them with his steady beats. It was who was on the bed next to Connor that surprised me.

Peyton.

She played my guitar fluently. Her hand strummed the strings like a pro and the smile on her face showed she enjoyed it. Then, she began to sing.

"'Beauty queen of only eighteen

She had some trouble with herself

He was always there to help her

She always belonged to someone else

I drove for miles and miles and wound up at your door

I've had you so many times but somehow I want more-'"

I closed the door and started singing.

"'I don't mind spending every day

Out on your corner in the pouring rain

Look for the girl with the broken smile

Ask her if she wants to stay awhile

And she will be loved

Tap on my window, knock on my door

I want to make you feel beautiful

I know I tend to get so insecure

It doesn't matter anymore'"

Connor laughed. "It's like a musical."