Chapter 1

I awoke inside a room. The room was made completely of marble, and looked oddly like a courtroom. This comparison scares me, since I was in the defendant’s chair.

“Cynthia,” a deep voice said. I snapped my head up to see a man with a beard, sitting in what I presumed to be the judge’s chair.

“Where am I?” I demanded, attempting to sit up. My arms where immediately grabbed and restrained back into the chair.

“Don’t move,” a different voice said. I looked behind me to see a man, with golden blonde hair, and piercing blue eyes. Also, he had a pair of wings. White wings.

“Cynthia, why do you think you deserve to come into my kingdom?” The first man asked. Then it hit me.

Wings, courtroom, judge.

“You’re God!!!” I exclaimed happily. He smiled.

“Yes Cynthia, my child,” He said calmly, a small smile creeping onto his lips. I sat there, and thought about his question. What would you do in my situation?

“I don’t, Lord, for I have sinned. I do not deserve to enter. But you sent your son, Jesus Christ, to die for me, and he took my sins with him,” God smiled even broader. He then bowed his head, and gestured to the door. It opened to reveal an even brighter light, in which I had to squint my eyes at first. When they adjusted, I saw white marble paving, with luscious, green, round trees and perfect hedges. I was released from the chair, and the blonde angel took me by the arm and began to escort me out. I stopped still.

“What are you doing?” He whispered to me. I pivoted on my heels to face my Father.

“Lord, can I ask you something?” I asked hesitantly. God got down from the tall booth, and began walking away from me, stroking his beard thoughtfully.

“Yes Cynthia, but my son shall teach you first,” He said. I cocked my head to the side.

“How did you-“ I began, but he was gone. I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was that pesky angel.

“What did you ask for?” He said. I smiled, and let him pull me gently towards the door.

“I asked to be an angel,” I replied.

***

Heaven is not what I imagined it to be. When they talked about Heaven in Church, I imagined it to be on white, fluffy clouds, with massive columns and ancient buildings. In actual fact, Heaven looked like the perfect suburb on Earth. There were marble roads with perfectly mowed lawns. Each person got their own house, which was made of Quartz imbedded with shinning jewels. The houses were accustomed to each person’s likings. Alex, who was the angel at the start, was introducing me to life as an angel.

“We have ranks here,” he said, strolling through what seemed to be a park, filled with children playing. Their laughter rang in my ears, filling me with an odd sense of joy.

“You start as a Guardian- where you are assigned a human to look after, and then you are trained to fight and become either a Hunter or Soldier. Hunters seek demons out, and eradicate them,” he explained. What was unnerving me was how many small children there were, and how they all must have died somehow.

“Jesus will assign you a human today, and you will be deployed tomorrow-“ Alex said. But quite frankly I wasn’t listening. I was wondering when I’d get my wings, and apparently angels have super powers!!! They can manipulate Water, Earth, Fire and Air. Sounds like Avatar, one of my favourite anime shows. I wonder if they have TV here……

“Are you listening to me?” Alex shouted, jostling me out of my trance. I looked at him and giggled. He was quite tall, two heads taller than I, and quite intimidating.