Chapter 3

The next week was fairly simple. Jordy got bullied, sat on his own, went home, and did homework. Everyday, I saw him grow weaker. He started to develop dark pads under his eyes, from tossing and turning too much. I had to watch this. It made me feel terrible. I wanted to reach out to him, to be with him. On the flip side, my training was going well. Lucie taught me about our history in class, and Jesus was teaching me combat. You’d think he’d be all peaceful, but oh no, you do not want to mess with him. He is MEAN with a sword. Or axe, or anything really. The whip proved to be a hard weapon, but I soon adjusted to it, and it became an extension of my arm. I now wear it in a loop around my waist to Guard. I learnt to fly that week. It was after Jordy was asleep one day, and Jesus looked me up and down.

“You’ve gotten stronger, I’m proud of you,” he said as I keeled over, panting hard.

“Time to fly,” he said. This grabbed my attention. I stood upright, energy suddenly flowing through me.

“Really?!?” I cried. He nodded. He took my arm in his own, and led me to a strip of grass. Snapped trees littered the area, making me assume that this was a regular flight path.

“Ok, Cynthia, this is what you’ve got to do. You start over by that twisted tree, and run as fast as you can. About halfway down, flap your wings,” I shook my wings as a warm up, and jogged over to the tree he had indicated. I did a few stretches, which made him roll his eyes and chuckle at my lunges. I crouched low to the ground, and ran. The cool night breeze whipped my hair, and I kept my wings close to my body. However, at half way, I extended my wings. The air caught on them, and sent me flying backwards. I heard a roar of laughter.

“Shut up Lucie!” I screeched, and got myself up. I dusted myself off, and stormed back to the start line.

“You did that yourself too, as I remember,” Jesus said, smirking at the intruder.

“Now I know why you laughed so hard,” she roared, slapping her knee in exaduration.

I didn’t crouch this time, just took off. I flapped my wings, and my feet lifted off the ground.

“I’m doing it! Yeah!” I cheered. I looked triumphantly at Lucie, then she pointed out in front. I faced forward, just in time to see the tree.

CRASH

Lucie roared even harder. I cursed, then got straight back up and took off the opposite direction. The trees flew past, and I flapped my wings. I was lifted off the ground. The ground started to get further away.

“That’s it!” Jesus shouted. He looked at Lucie with a cheeky smile. She chuckled, and took off to join me.

“This is amasing!” I said, and spun in a circle.

“Look out cool cat,” Lucie said, pointing toward a rock. I ducked and weaved through the trees, the wind feeling good under my wings. Lucie giggled, and shot off after me. We darted and fluttered and twisted and turned, the whole time laughing. Lucie was an expert, and could fly upside down. I didn't dare try it. I suddenly knew what it was like to be free.

 But anyway, back to my guard duties. I have always been a carer. I always wanted to help people. If I hadn’t of died, I would have liked to be a doctor, or a physio. So when I see someone in pain, I have this habit of helping them. So this brings us to about a week into my duties.

It was lunch. The basketball court was surprisingly empty, since there was a concert on in the main theatre. But Jordy was there. He sat, and he ate, and he just stared into silence. I reached into his thoughts. It had become quite easy now, and I no longer had to concentrate as much.