Chapter Five [Part Three]

The sun appeared just as quickly as it had disappeared. Its blinding rays rested upon my pale skin, the warmth soothed my skin and relaxed my muscles, which had been subconsciously on guard all throughout the night.

"What have you done?" His voice was like a knock to my head which I hadn't expected. His shadows had surrounded me within seconds of his dominating and blunt question - they held a tight grip on my throat. I heard him get up off of the ground and walk around to face me, the autumn leaves crunching beneath his bare feet. The hiss inside my head ordered me to fight the shadows away but instead I ignored its demanding voice and remained calm and subdued in front of him. I stared at the floor.

"I asked you a question." He knelt to face me, his eyes burning into my skull and staring into my soul.

"Can't you just read my mind? Waste of fucking time me telling you what I've done when you technically already know." I whipped my hand across my mouth, realizing that I had let her speak for me, and realizing that her bitterness had formed my words. "Sorry, I'm tired." I tried to recover.

"I want to hear it from your mouth." He glared at me.

"I broke you and the other two out of that place. I killed as many of them as I could. I burnt it all down afterwards." My eyes remained on the ground, trying to hide my smirk at the thought of their worthless bodies decaying in the burnt building remains.

"Why would you do that?" The hint of curiosity in his voice surprised me.

"Can you even read my thoughts?" I questioned him, watching his expression carefully. His tough face seemed to drop, and his head bent down to look at the ground.

"No. But, I could read those bastard's minds, I could hear every sick thought they had about me, I could sense their hatred, I could feel the sting of every needle they placed into my body even while I was unconscious. I could read the plans they had made in their heads about what they were going to do to me on the slab that day. I could read every little thought that flew through their minds. But you, nothing but the words in which you have just spoken." He gritted his teeth - I could sense the anger and the frustration he felt from not being able to read my thoughts. I, on the other hand, couldn't help but be relieved by this. It meant that she was protecting herself from being heard, and in turn protecting our plans from being discovered, by somehow blocking my thoughts from him- and any other mind reader that could be a threat.

I wasn't entirely sure on what to say back to what he told me, so I decided to answer his question. "I did it to save us."

He looked up at me, his shadows loosened their grip around me, and he held out his hand to help me up off of the ground.

I had gained his trust.

One down, two to go.

Her voice inside my head informed me.