Chapter One

~Fire on the wall, fire on the ceiling, fire in the sky, fire in the air, fire burning faces and fire burning hair. Fire burning here, fire burning there, fire burning everything and fire burning everywhere ~

Chapter One

Fire

There were only so many times that I could scream at the top of my lungs in hope that someone, anyone, would hear me... Even pity me, maybe show some remorse, but as I knew deep down, nothing of the short would happen. Even with the ever lessening glimmer of hope I possessed inside of me, I still continued to scream.  

The more and the louder I screamed, the harsher the punishments became. The way they looked at me with such hatred in their eyes, made my skin crawl. As they lifted their hard, cold batons to hit me with, a cruel smile would spread across their faces as if they were looking forward to hearing my cries of pain and seeing the marks on my body which they had created. They always wore white masks over their faces, and green gloves on their hands whenever entering my isolation cell.  

"Get the fuck off of that floor!" I heard his voice shout from outside the steel door that enclosed me. It was time for my examination. I could hear the bolts on the door turn, and before I could take a breath he was right in front of me, holding his usual, an iron bat, and handcuffs.  

"You know what to do." He hissed at me whilst handcuffing my wrists. As I attempted to stand on my weak feet, he let out a deep laugh that made my heart jump. He tripped me up, as he usually did, for his own entertainment. I felt the hard and quick sweep of his feet hitting against my ankles, and I heard a loud snap followed by a searing pain in my left ankle. Before I knew it, I was a small heap on the floor, crying my eyes out from the pain.  

He took one look at my tears, and his smile faded. The room went silent. 

I held out my hand to catch the falling tears that were running down my cheeks, their bright orange and red colour mesmerized me, and made me feel warm inside. Their heat seeped through my finger tips.  

"Stop, now. I'll snap your other ankle if you carry on." 

The tears were falling uncontrollably. I knew I couldn't stop, I knew I couldn't even summon the power to defend myself. Instead, I just faced the consequences.  

Snap.