Hers: Big Apple, Huge Ego

This guy is a tricky one. Too much negativity filled inside him. I need sometime to think over this case, as it is too much has happened for one day for my brain to function properly. I moved from Nebraska to New York, for God knows how long. My new employer turns out to be a super rich businessman who has given me my own office. Can you believe it? And not just any office. A fully furnished, sleek looking office, which is almost as large as my apartment. About my new client? The biggest douche bag ever.

"Well. I need some time off to think what could be done with you. That is it for today."I finally say.

He gives me a very confused look and then smiles at me, saying,"Seriously? 10 minutes? Hell, I might start liking you."

Oh god.

"I pray with all my might that never happens, Mr Salt. Good day."I say.

Without another word, I get up and leave him alone in my office.

On my way out, I get a text from Bryce.

Pepper, my car is waiting for you outside and will take you to your new apartment. I'll see you there.
Bryce.

Are you kidding me?! After all this, an apartment too? Except for the part that my client is a total jerk, I think I've begun to like my new job. Well who wouldn't? I'm working in New York city. My employer is an extremely sweet guy, not to mention, rich too. I have my own work space. And now my own apartment as well!

I make my way to the reception to ask the receptionist about my ride.

"Good afternoon, Miss Hansen, I'm Lindsey. I hope you remember me from the phone earlier?"she says as I approach her.

"Of course I do!"I say. "I actually wanted to ask where could I find Bryce's car? I need to get to my apartment."I continue. She just stares at me.

"We're talking about the boss's vehicle. Of course it would be parked right in front of the building."she laughs as she says.

Hey? I'm new to this, okay? The only employers I've ever had are worried parents and a few universities.

"Oh, right."I smile at her, as I make my way out.

The same guy who had greeted me at the airport opens the door of the Hummer for me. I smile at him and get in.

The car starts moving and I hum along to the music playing. I don't recognize whatever this is. But it seems like some old classic.

Soon we reach our destination, but I still can't see where we are because of the blacked out windows.

The airport guy opens the door for me and I step out of the car. "Thanks. What's your name?"I ask. I'm tired of calling him 'the airport guy'. "I'm Chad."he smiles at me.

We're in a well lit street with an Italian restaurant at one corner and an Indian restaurant on the other. The building in front of us looks good enough and Chad leads me inside. We step into the elevator and I discover that my apartment is on the topmost floor.

Chivalrous Chad opens the door of the apartment for me and we make our way through a hallway, the walls covered with beautiful paintings, which leads to the living room.

Moving into a new apartment. How would a normal person expect their welcome? A Welcome Home! banner stuck on the wall, family hugs and all the other sweet clichés. Oh, but I don't get clichés.

What do I get?

Jason Salt sprawled on the sofa. Wait, let me rephrase that.

Jason Salt sprawled on my sofa.

Bryce is sitting on a couch too. He gets up when he sees me and says,"Ah, Pepper! Welcome to your new home!"

I smile at him wryly.

"What the hell is she doing here?! And what do you mean 'your new home'?"Jason says as soon as he notices my presence.

My eyes widen. Who the hell does he think he is?!

"Well, Jason. Pepper. You both have to share this apartment."Bryce says.

"Whaaatt?!"I exclaim.

"The room on the right is yours, Pepper. Your suitcase is already inside. Well, the other room is where Jason occasionally comes to sleep whenever he's not passed out in a bar with a girl."he says.

I expected Jason to take offense at that but he just snorts.

"Have a nice day."Bryce says and then leaves.

I swallow all my anger and just look at Jason, his eyes are on mine with a look I can't make out. Disgust? Amusement? I don't know.