Chapter Ten~ Another Approach.

The Captain's PoV. 

I slammed my fist on the meeting table and turned to Lana with stone cold eyes.

"Because of your foolish act, we have lost the shapeshifter! Along with the others!"

I watched her gulp and lowered her head.

"I am truly sorry Captain," she said quietly.

I scowled and turned to pace.

"We have underestimated her," I said to everyone. "She's smart, she knew the only way for her shift to be triggered was for us to threaten her."

I whirled on Lana.

"And you gave her just that," I sneered.
"Throwing that rock at her head was all it took!"

I reached for the small dagger in my jacket and launched it at the girl, watching as it pierced the skin beneath her collarbone. She knew better than to scream, instead she sat there, eyes wide, watching her skin cry blood.

"Captain," the Chief said, "dividing ourselves at this point will do us no good."

I nodded. "You are right Chief," I conceded, "but we still have the problem of three Shapeshifters out on the loose."

The Chief tapped his chin. "Indeed, that is problematic," he said "so perhaps we should try another approach, let's be as cunning as she was."

I felt a smirk carve itself into my face.

"Let's hear it Chief."

I sat down and listened to the Chief, thinking of spilling that teenager's blood everywhere in Kingswood.

Michelle's PoV.

I haven't heard from Ally or Theresa in two days.

I sighed and hugged myself, my mother told me a story long ago and I just know it has something to do with Ally...

"Michelle," my mother had said, "you know the story about the founders of Kingswood correct?" 

"Yes."

She took a sip of her tea, "well there's more to the story."

"Story time!"

Mom chuckled. "Mich... The founders were said to be Shapeshifters yes, and that they passed it on to their offspring."

"The Venatores killed all of them..." I had replied sadly.

My mother shook her head.

"No darling, not all of them, a few survived. A family took them in and protected them from The Venatores, they were brave for doing that."

She paused with a far away look in her eyes.

"The family and the Shapeshifters have grown close since then, through generations..."

"Mom... Are you telling me that the Shapeshifters are still around? And that a family is protecting them?"

"The Shapeshifters are among us Michelle," she replied staring at me. "They are not exactly hiding... Nor are they being protected. They are not the same anymore either."

"Wha- what do you mean?"

"There was a war... It crippled them on the inside. Their bright fire burned out from the mighty strikes of The Venatores.  They lost their ability to shift, another she..."

"She what Mom?"

"She lost the ability to ever have children."

"That's awful..."

"Indeed."

"What happened after?"

"The Venatores allowed them to live," she said with distaste, "convinced that after so many losses, they were hollow and empty,  they decided to watch them live out their lives until they died, the Shapeshifters legacy along with them."

"Oh wow..."

"But there was hope." She smiled then, "One of the Shapeshifters went into hiding for about two years, during that time, she had a child. The Venatores never dreamed of that happening so they overlooked the possibility after slaughtering the mother and her husband."

"What happened to the child...?"

My mother shrugged.
"She grew up, still growing, still learning once she shifts..." She rested down her tea cup. "The others will too and maybe just maybe, they'll fight and be free from The Venatores once and for all."

"Or they'll get themselves slaughtered..."  I said rubbing my temples.

"But Mom..." 

"Yes darling?"

"How do you even know this?"

"Well... Our ancestors were the family that helped them, and I'm helping them right now and someday you will too."

I was dumbfounded.

Dahlia and Theresa are close...
They both pushed Ally and I to be friends...

Ally and Theresa are The Shapeshifters of Kingswood.

And they're missing.

I took up my jacket and dashed out the door to find Trey. I was gonna need a ride.

~KimZee ✨💜✨