Chapter Thirteen~ ... There's an Escape.

Jessica's PoV.

Sleep didn't come to me easily last night. Eventually my body shut down and I fell into a deep slumber around midnight.

Mama, Ally and I were standing at the forest border, holding hands.

"We're going to be alright." Mama said fiercely. She glanced at Ally.

"Remember what I told you last night?"
Ally nodded slowly.

"Ready?" I asked both of them.

Ally shook her head furiously. "Nope, I'm scared."

I narrowed my eyes at her.  "And you should be."

Her eyes widened.

"But don't let that fear get to your head, we need to survive this."

She nodded solemnly.

"Something tells me, we're in for a surprise..." I heard Ally whisper, as we made our way through the thick shrubbery.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

Chief Rathbone's PoV.

Everyone was in place.
The Captain and I assembled a large Death Circle of 50 members, but only one would accompany me, the others would be led in by the Captain or rather fall in.

I twirled my dagger.

Yes, today would be a glorious day.

The shapeshifters would be taken care of and once Lucien slaughters that beast, he'd seal his future as the next Chief.

I looked down at the dagger. The initials D.R stood out proud.

Diana Rathbone.

My poor Diana... Lost in the feeble thoughts of sparing monsters.
You always had a kind heart Diana, so kind it got you killed, leaving me here to raise our son. 

I threw the dagger towards the circle of nearby trees. I heard a thud and I knew it landed in a tree trunk.

I rubbed my temples.

The past was always a dangerous place. Things are too different there, the future is what matters now. Lucien's future.

"You're not vigilant are you?"  I watched as Lucien stepped out from among the trees. He was dressed in casual clothing, part of the plan.

"How long have you been there Lucien?" I asked.

"Long enough to see you throw mom's dagger away." His voice shook a little.

He cleared his throat. "What's going on Chief?"

He never says 'father' or 'dad' I was always Chief to him... I never questioned why.

"Getting lost in the past." I said removing Diana's dagger and sheathing it.

"Not the best place to go." He commented.

"Indeed." I said nodding.

He sat down on the ground and gestured for me to join him.