Chapter 3

Time went by, and I was 16. Fabian was 17, and we were still together. My dance teacher welcomed us into the studio and we took a seat on the wooden dance floor. She talked about last weeks competition and about what we did wrong and right, and then she told us about that weeks competition. She said we were going to Starbound in Phoenix, Arizona, and then she told me and Fabian that our duet that week was going to be called Forever and Always. Our group dance was going to be about a funeral which was depressing, but we as dancers had to learn to play a variety of characters and emotions, even they were dark and not fun. After she talked about the competition, then she told us about a talent scout that was going to be there from Joffery Ballet. Joffery Ballet was the best dance academy in the country, and getting into their summer intensive program would be a dream. Plus, I would get to spend my summer in New York City where I could be away from my mom and annoying dance teacher. That made the pressure even more that week. After she finished talking, we stretched and warmed up for group dance rehearsal. The group dance was contemporary and challenging because we had to do lots of leaps, but it would be good for the Joffery Ballet spot. After we finished group dance rehearsal, it was school time. My mom pulled out my math workbook and flipped to the page she wanted me to do. I worked on pointing ad flexing my feet while I did my math work for the day. Next to me, my best friend on the team, Lexi, was working on an writing assignment. Lexi's mom used to be an English teacher so she made her do lots of writing work. After I finished my math, It was duet time. It was a very hard duet, mainly because there was a lot of acro, and I wasn't the best at certain acro tricks. Plus, my ankle had been acting up for a few months, and doing back handsprings leaves some wear and tear on it. But, I pulled through, because I knew how much Fabian liked the dance.