Chapter 5

A couples weeks after that, I woke up in the morning and ran into the bathroom to throw up. I felt nauseas all morning and through my morning jazz technique class. But,by the afternoon and competition rehearsal time I felt a little bit better. The next morning and the morning after that I would feel sick and nauseas and sometimes throw up. It kept happening, and I didn't really know what was going on. My mom said that I probably just had some stomach bug, but I didn't believe that. On the Friday before our competition we were having a "dance sleepover". Our dance teacher would sometimes do this, and this was when we had a sleepover at our dance studio. We would eat pizza for dinner, and then we would work hard, rehearsing and practicing until 10:00 at night, and then we could stay up as late as we wanted to watching movies or playing games. It was actually really fun, hanging out with the team and all. We rehearsed our group dance and then practiced some acro, and then our dance was over and we could have fun. We painted nails and watched chick flicks, and then we played truth or dare. Fabian only would come for the rehearsals and then leave because he didn't really want his nails painted. We all painted our nails a light pink color so that you wouldn't be able to see them too much from the audience. We didn't go to bed until 1:00 am, and we were really tired the next morning. When I got up, I had to throw up, and I went to the bathroom. After I came out, Annie, my best friend on the team said "Are you under the weather Nepi?" I sighed and said "I don't know, I've been throwing up like this in the morning for a long time, and I am feeling nauseas a lot." Annie and the rest of the team looked at me, and Penelope, another girl on the team said "Nepi, have you and Fabian slept together lately?" I sighed and was a little embarrassed, but I replied "Well yeah, a few weeks ago." Everyone looked at each other and gave each other a weird strangish look and the Annie said "Nepi, is it possible you could be pregnant? I mean it is possible of course, but have you taken a pregnancy test?" My whole world literally flipped upside down at that moment, and I turned panicked, embarrassed, and scared. The who,e team was staring at me, and then my mom walked into the dance studio. "What are you guys doing in here?" She asked. We all looked at each other and gave each other that look, and then Penelope said "Oh, um, we're just playing a game called um, Standup. It's when someone stands up and um, um, um...?" Then Annie jumped in quick and said "it's when someone stands up and acts a scene from a movie and then we get to guess it. It's the new game that all of us teens are playing." We all giggled a little bit, but my mom actually believed it. After she left, Anna, another dancer on our team who had her drivers license drove to the local pharmacy really quick and bought me a pregnancy test. She also bought mascara and when our moms asked her why she went she said it was to buy the mascara. She sneaked me the pregnancy test, and I went into the bathroom to do it. Annie came with me and sat in the stall with me. We brushed our hair and put it into a bun while it was processing so that our moms knew that we were doing something normal. After the 15 minutes, my timer on my phone went off and we ran back into the stall to see the results. My hands were shaking so bad that Annie picked it up and looked at me, and the she said "Nepi, I'm, I'm, so sorry, but it, came back positive. You're pregnant." I cried into her arms for 10 minutes until my dance teacher came in and said we had to get on our makeup. I was so scared that day, that at competition when Fabian asked me what was wrong, I told him to leave me alone. And that's all I wanted, was to be left alone with no one except my teammates which were basically my best friends in the whole world. But unfortunately, being a dancer on a competition team didn't call for that at all.