Chapter Fifteen - Dionysus

Chapter Fifteen

"Honey, we're home!" Evie yells, the slamming of the front door jolting me out of my reverie.

Rolling my eyes, I stretch out like a starfish and slouch back against the chair, glaring at the papers strewn across the table in front of me. Damn, why is digging the past up so difficult? Finding the Pythia shouldn't be this hard; it's almost like she doesn't want to be found. "What the hell took you so long? I've almost scratched out my eyeballs trying to-oh my god!"

"Reasons." Evie says, a funny tone in her voice. I twist in my chair to look at them, and a big smirk spreads across Evie's face when my jaw drops.

"What did you do to Kenzie?!"

"Wrong answer Spencer. Try again." She tuts, waggling her finger at me. "Oh, and by the way, compliments won't kill you."

"Well, I mean, you look killer dollface," I begin, and I'm not lying. Kenzie's once waist long brown hair now rests just above her shoulders, and there are bright red streaks flashing through her curls. Her clothes have been altered just as as much as her hair; her ripped old boyfriend jeans and t-shirt combo have been replaced by dark indigo skinny jeans and a hugging plain black tank top covered by a forest-green dress jacket. All up, she looks dangerously hot. I'm not sure if I love it or hate it. "But isn't this all a little drastic?!"

"Spencer doesn't really like change." Evie whispers to Kenzie conspiratorially. The girl in question doesn't reply, her cheeks stained red. "You should've seen how psycho he went when I left."

"That's not important to our conversation!" I splutter. "Why did you cut her hair?!"

"Because she has a psychotic tree nymph who seems hell-bent on trying to hurt her, and changing how she looks will at least slow them down, hopefully enough for us to stop them!" Evie smacks my forehead. "It's not rocket science."

Not to mention you need to stop looking at her like she's Ariadne Spencer. Evie's voice continues in my mind, and she shoots me a thinly veiled look. I scowl at her. Stupid mind powers. No, don't give me that look Spencer, I'm not blind or stupid. I see the way you look at her. She's not Ariadne and she never will be; you need to realise that pronto, and start looking at her as Kenzie Merron, not Ariadne of Minos. It's not fair on her. So yes, cutting her hair may have been drastic, but at least it'll distinguish her from Ariadne in your stupid messed up brain.

I open my mouth to argue with her, but once again, my brain demonstrates its uselessness in providing logical retorts, and nothing comes out. I groan internally. Damn, this girl has been here for less than a day and she's already figured me out before I've even really figured myself out? What the hell did Hades teach her?

Kenzie watches me curiously, like she's not sure what to think. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, why?" I reply, feigning indifference.

"You haven't said anything for five minutes. That scares me a little." She hesitates like she doesn't want to say anything else, but then, " Don't you like it?"

I shoot her a reassuring smile. "Don't be daft dollface, I think you look amazing."

"But he doesn't like change!" Evie whisper yells, beaming at me innocently when I glare at her. "Oh don't give me that look, you know it's true."

"Shut up Autumn."

"Make me, Spencer-no-last-name."

"Such insult, much wow."