Chapter 14 - People kill People

Enjoy.  Please Vote :)

***The Time that Follows***

“My little bird wants to fly far, far away; she wants to get away and never come back.  Did you know? Did you know?”  Miss Malaway glanced out of the vehicle, beyond the window was the brown landscape of the Sahara desert, nearly untouched by the war which wiped out just about all of its inhabitants.  The desert surrounding her was only kept at bay due to concrete walls that went several feet up on either side of the road.  But even so sand was able to get onto the road which seemed to be unused for nearly a year. 

“My little bird is going to kill you, you know?  She’s going to find you and kill you.  I’m sure of it. Completely sure.  All I have to do is summon her and it will be your end.  You know this yes?”  Miss Malaway spoke to the driver, the only other person in the vehicle and in the seat in front of her. 

The Arabic man driving poked his head around the seat and gave Miss Malaway a quick glance.  He said, “Oh, I highly doubt that,” before bringing his head back around to keep his eyes on the road.

“You so sure?  Are you so sure?  How can you be sure?” 

“I work for her too Miss Secretary.”

“Where is your bite?  Where is the proof?”

“You don’t need a bite to trust in Lilly.  Some of us knew her before she was a little girl.”

“Oh? Then what do you call yourself?  A long time follower? You think you’re special? You think my little bird cares?  My little bird doesn’t care.  She only cares about who helps her the most—and that’s me.”

“I’m not a follower.” The driver said.

“Then what? A friend?”

“No, not really.”

“Then why would my little bird spare you?”

“She saved me once before.”

“Then who are you?” Miss Malaway questioned as they passed a couple large buildings.  She looked around.  Suddenly they were not in the desert anymore, but some sort of city—a big city.  It was odd she missed it before, but it seemed the city has been going on outside for quite some time.  Abandoned cars littered the street, but it looked as if most of them had been pushed onto the sidewalks or sides of the road to clear for current traffic.

Then came a sort of opening, a large intersection. To the left and right was a massive ten lane boulevard which stretched as far as the eye could see in either direction and in front was a huge cross-shaped building with a massive golden dome in its center.  One of the four legs of the cross pointed directly at the intersection they were stopped at and above its glass face and glass doors was a golden sign, ‘The Alma Mall’ with sly Arabic lettering under the massive English words. 

Several of the higher windows of this mall were shattered and inside could be seen walls blackened with a past fire.  They couldn’t go forward through this intersection because the entrance to the mall parking lot was gated off with a wooden sign hanging off the top of the fence, this wood sheet had only Arabic written on it with red spray paint and a quickly drawn skull and crossbones directly under whatever warning there was. 

“Entry is Death.” The driver said as he turned a left and drove away from the mall.  “That’s what it says.  Oh, and if you’re wondering,” he turned his head away from the road once again and looked back at Miss Malaway, “I’m Alle.”

“Alle.  Alle, Alle, is that short for anything?”

“Not anymore,” Alle stopped the car and pulled over to the side of the road between two more cars, the one in front was an older car and the one in back a truck.  “We’re here.”