Chapter 10: How to get a Bird its Wings

One more out of order chapter.  Cheers on that.  Should be the last one, fixed up the book.  I actually really like where this is going now that I've made the time closer - I'm able to do things like this chapter - which would later be the reason why she finds the thing in the later chapter (one listed as Chapter ?? at the moment) 

“Once there was a bird that flew, a bird that flew far away.  Once there was a bird that flew, a bird that flew far away. Once there was a bird that flew, a bird that flew far away. Once…”

“What’s gotten into her? She won’t stop saying that over and over and over.”  A man in checkered overalls and blue jeans adjusted a fully automatic M16 resting on a strap in front of him. 

“Once there was a bird that flew, a bird that flew far away…”  The woman’s voice was further away now and echoing through the hallway. 

“Better question is why they still keep her around, she’s obviously gone insane. I mean look at her.”  A second man with a beer belly, a blue plaid shirt and some type of carbine said to the first.  Besides the two off-suit guards the entire ward of the hospital appeared empty, white halls with nothing to occupy them, not even paintings, and white doors that nearly blended into the walls. 

The voice stopped as the woman turned a corner at the end of the hall.  The man in the overalls grunted and pointed, “Go after her.”

“Yes, sir.” The second man responded with a near sarcastic banter. The empty hall remained still and stiff as the man with the carbine stomped recklessly down the hall mumbling, “Don’t understand why we have to guard an insane woman.  We should just lock her up in a damn cell and be over with it.  Chasing after her is a headache and waste of my damn time.”

“Just go, stop your babbling Anderson.”  The other said raising his voice.

“Yes sir,” Anderson said with a bland tone.

Anderson turned the bend to find the woman standing there staring silently at an empty wall.  With the way she was turned he could clearly see the gaping hole in her face and her teeth on the other side.  She looked a lot like two-face, except with melted flesh instead of burned and the hole was not nearly as big.  “Secretary,” Anderson said, turning his eyes away from her face in disgrace.  “You need to come back this way Miss Secretary.”  He reached out and managed a grab on her arm.

She snapped her head towards Anderson, “Do you know how a bird can fly? A bird needs its wings.”

“Yes Miss Secretary. That is true.  Now, you need to come back this way so we can keep an eye on you.”

“Yes, yes, yes.  I know I know, but.”  Miss Malaway looked right into Anderson’s eyes, despite his attempts to avoid eye contact.  “How can my bird get its wings?”

“I don’t know Miss Secretary.”  Anderson managed to pull the Secretary back into the hall and in the eyes of his friend, “James! Got her!”

“Good job, bring her back and we can let her wonder again.”

“How can my bird get its wings? How can my bird get its wings? How? How? Do you know?” Miss Malaway persisted as Anderson, holding onto the sleeve of her white gown, continued to drag her back to James.

“I don’t know.” Anderson said, picking up his voice as he approached James.

“You should, you should! How? How? How? How! HOW!” Miss Malaway started shouting as she stomped her feet on the ground causing Anderson to let go of her. 

“Look lady, we’re not even supposed to talk to you we’re just here to watch you.” James said, while putting an arm on Anderson’s shoulder to prevent him from doing anything rash.  Both men took a step to the side and leaned against the wall, the Secretary was back in front of them anyways.  It was a good time to relax until she wondered off again.