Chapter 20: Stalling

After about 20 minutes of trying to calm Mason down, I finally got to rest for a bit. With him throwing a hissy fit and having all that makeup on, I would’ve sworn that he was an actual girl. You had to be there to see him; it was the most hilarious thing I have seen in a while.

         I’ve been in and out of consciousness for a while now. Lexi was now in the front seat driving. They had the radio on, but the volume was so low that I could hardly hear ‘Super Bass’ by Nicki Minaj playing. I was about to go back to sleep when I heard my name being mentioned. I didn’t hear much of the conversation but I heard some of it.

“…..Sophia…..happy……not mad anymore……forgives you…..forgives her….let go of the past,” was all I heard Lexi say. I was partially asleep so I didn’t hear the entire conversation.

         Why the heck are they talking about me? My thoughts were interrupted by Mason….very rudely I may say.

“She told me that she forgave me. I believe her. She wants to believe that she hates Eliza, but in reality she only hated her at the beginning. In her heart she forgave her years ago, but she denied it,” he explained to Lexi.

“I guess you’re right. I just never picked up on it,” she said thinking about it for a bit.

“Has she moved on,” he questioned her in a small voice.

“Yea, she locked that part of her life up years ago. She’s never opened it up since then,” she told him.

“Not about Eliza and her; about us,” he said to her waiting and anticipating her answer.

“Unfortunately; she loved you back then, but you broke her heart. She might have forgiven you for what you did, but she will never forgive you for breaking her heart. I know it’s hard to hear this, but it’s 100% true,” Lexi explained to Mason sincerely.

         I’ve heard quite enough of this conversation, so I started moving around indicating that I’m coming out of mu ‘sleep’. I’m glad I did that because Mason was about to say something but he stopped himself. Thank God!

“Mmmmm,” I fake groaned.

“Good afternoon, Sleeping Beauty,” Lexi teased me.

“Wait, afternoon,” I asked slightly confused. Afternoon?

“Yes, afternoon; you slept all the way through Mason’s shift, and I have 3 hours left of mine. You slept for 5 hours. I don’t blame you; you had to have at least 5 cups of coffee. We’ll be in Dallas in 3 hours. Don’t worry, we won’t meet up with her until tomorrow,” Lexi explained to me.

“Can we stop at a park for a bit? I need to stretch my body out desperately,” I pleaded trying to stall from reaching Dallas.

“Ok, fine, but, I know what you’re trying to do Lexi,” she told me while looking at me with those eyes. Oh, her eyes hold so much power in them. Right now they hold the ‘you’re busted’ look. Damn, I hate that look!

         We drove around for about 30 minutes until we found a decent park. The other parks looked all right, but behind trees and corners lurked gang members and drug dealers. Yea, I’d rather not get involved with them. I’d rather be in a nice park with a nice neighborhood with cute little kids coming up to you to ask you to play with them in the sand. I love those kinds of parks.

         After turning down the parks that Lexi and Mason pointed out to me, one particular park caught my eye. It was named ‘The Artists’ Memoir’.  I think that’s a perfect name for a friendly park. The park is absolutely fabulous. There are mothers chasing their children, kids running away from their mothers, and about everything else. The park isn’t ginormous but it wasn’t extremely small either. It had all of the things a park needed. It had a jungle gym, a sandbox, picnic tables, swings, and a merry-go-round. Wow, I now know why they call it ‘The Artists’ Memoir’. I could paint my surroundings all day long if I wanted to. It’s absolutely amazing! I went over and sat down on one of the swings. It’s so calm and peaceful there. I was swinging for about 10 minutes taking in the scenery when a girl about the age of 19 came and sat down on the swing 2 over from mine. She looked like she was in la-la-land so I didn’t dare bother her. When she snapped out of it, she noticed me.