Doppled in Gray [chapter twelve]

CHAPTER TWELVE

I have a stool situated about fifty feet away from the target. My breath it calm and calculating knowing that even the smallest movement could change the outcome. I take a deep breath before finally pulling the trigger. A blue beam of light goes out, about as wide as my fist and long as my forearm but extremely thin. The beam hits a target, just a black metal board that was constantly moving. I take a deep breath out and grimace, it hit the target, almost in the very middle. I aim again and wait for the target to start moving once more. "You know, I really think that you should dye that green streak. Ellery is the only one that can make green hair work," a female with a crisp accent says. I withhold the surprised breath and keep aim.

"I'm planning on it, thanks for the suggestion though."

"You're welcome." Zi then leans on a small ledge that separates the from the firing zone. Her legs swing back and forth, casually hitting the ledge with the backs of her feet and leaves a strong rhythmic pulse. I ignore it and try to remain focused. My target is locked when she starts to speak again.

"You know, my hair is fake."

I pull the trigger, bulls eye. My hands gently lay the gun down before I stare at Zi.

"I didn't realize. It's pretty though," I reply and pull out a small rag from my cleavage.

She looks down to the floow and I spot her tongue moving in front of her teeth almost as if she was nervous.

"Thank you," she says at last.

I nod and rub the gun with the rag carefully, making sure to avoid all the spots that were still cooling down for a couple second before cleaning them too. It was relaxing, slowly talking the gun apart, piece by piece then cleaning it all down and finally putting in a new power source.

"I'm thinking of getting cat eyes," Zi says, interrupting my temporary calm.

"I don't see why. We fight to be human, don't we? Why try to make ourselves less of that?"

I attach the last piece of the gun and then walk to the other side of the room, putting the gun in a small case, right in its spot. My eyes search for another person but the world is silent and only lit by the electric hover lights that our positioned in our direction of the stark white room. I look back at Zi who's eyes were moving across the floor bust still looking at nothing at all. A weak smile manages to cross my chapped lips, hiding my frustrations that I had earlier for her benighted.

Zi finally looks up at me eyes with a hint of surprise. "You are right, I suppose," she says and then walks out, leaving me alone.

I grab a larger gun from a large plastic holder and then set it on my lap. My thumb rubs across the dark shiny metal, smudging it and keeping me from looking at the distorted image of my own reflection. I consider leaving for a split second. I imagine walking out the double doors of the weaponry to the lobby out the tiny door in to the cafe and then finally away from here, maybe not forever but certainly for a long while. Of course, maybe the Superiors have stopped looking for me, maybe they guess that I have died. It isn't likely but my mind still rides on the fantasy for a moment. Maybe I can get Amber to leave, we could live in another huge city, where no one knows of us. What is the place that B talked of? Metro. The world's capitol. That sounds sort of nice.

A small laugh slips from my mouth as I shake my head and wipe my runny nose. I dont really want to leave. Well, at least part of me doesn't. I shoot onto my feet, spin around and quickly aim for the target then finally pull the thick trigger. Almost a straight shot. I raise my eyebrows slightly and put the gun back in it's case without cleaning it. I guess that I am beginning to like it here. Or at least not mind it.