Doppled in Gray [chapter eleven]

CHAPTER ELEVEN

I don't dream that night. Or the night after. I simply go through the motions. Wake up. Eat. Train. Eat. Wait. Train. Sleep. All emotions I could have had are put into that day's training. I hold the swords, I keep the old guns steady, I don't get tired. When I get to hand-to-hand combat Haran is not there. In his place is B who needs to work out himself.

B is tall but when fighting he doesn't think fast enough. He gets tired too quickly and I take advantage of that at all times. I get him flat on his back and get some body shots in before he finally gives. B speaks, rubbing his midsection but I do not hear the words, simply nod. All that I hear is my own breath.

He leaves, shaking his head after awhile to my own silence. The girl who taught me how to shoot fights me. I punch out and she brushes it away with her forearm or maybe her hand. she is constantly moving in her stance. Never stopping to think. It's always move, stop, punch again and again until I am down and I don't get up. She holds out a hand to me but I don't take it. I just hold my midsection and then I look straight forward. I hear a vibration of her yell but no words. There are footsteps, coming fast towards me. They pick me up and move me. I try to move, try to tell them that I am alright that I am breathing but all that comes is tears. No sobbing, no sound at all but just painful tears that I cant stop from coming down my face.

I am not at all surprised that the infirmary is right next to the weaponry. But when I am in it a fight tooth an claw trying to stop them from touching me. I want to fight. I need to fight. The doctor calls someone with his armex and in the next moment there are two extremely large men holding me down. I thrash on the table, kicking out with my legs and struggling away with my shoulders but they don't move. But they look at me, sometimes just a shake of the head, sometimes a whisper in my ear, trying to be calming. But nothing calms me down.

The doctor says empty words that I still cant hear with a syringe in his hand. My eyes go wide looking at the syringe. And I start fighting harder getting a couple punches in but nothing had enough to actually do damage. I can hear them yelling at me, shaking me but I cant hear them. They are going to hurt me. I'm going to lose something this time. Maybe I wont remember myself like Pher. Pher who is now dead. They stick the syringe in me but I do not feel it. I also don't feel the liquid going through my veins. All I feel is my body growing heavier even as I fight as if they are trying to freeze me in time. My limbs are no longer moving, I am totally limp and my eyes are fighting to stay open. There are more people now, all crowding around me. I try to say something, to get someone to help me but no words escape. All of my reality is just falling away.

My eyes flutter and as they open I don't look around. I just stare at the ceiling. Part of me wishes I don't remember where I am, what happened but it is still all to clear. My armex shows me the time, eight o'clock, same day. Damn. I was hoping that I would at least miss a challenge or something. I rub my cracked lips together and rub my cheeks, trying to keep the warmth.

My back aches as I raise myself up but as soon as I do I regret waking. Right in front of me is Haran, acting calm as ever. I try to wipe the grogginess from my pale face.

“What do you want this time?” I ask, voice cracking halfway through.

“I'm sorry. I didn't know you would react like that. I didn't realize. . .”

I shake my head at him.

“Word of advice, stop trying. You're slowly killing me.”

He smiles at me sympathetically and says, “Well, on the bright side, it will all be over in about a week.”

I look down. “You were nice to him, I ampreciate that.”

“Least I can do. He wasn’t a bad guy. Smart actually.”