Hook, line and sinker!

UNEDITED JUST LIKE THE REST!!!

Chapter eighteen

“Seriously Maddy, you’re guilt tripping me here.” I huffed, dragging my handful of luggage with me.

“Stop being dramatic, I persuaded you to move in with me.”

“Just let me pay rent or something.”

I bit my lower lip as I surveyed Maddy’s homey dwelling. Actually its very homey, very different from what I’m used to. Why am I here? Well, I was kicked out of the motel room I rented because of…unfortunate circumstances.

Okay! I didn’t pay the rent for the last two weeks.

But to my defence, they were being unnecessarily harsh, so what if my money got blocked. I don’t know who did it though since the money I’m using is from my account so who could possibly freeze it without my knowledge? I do have money from working at the coffee house but it wasn’t enough.

I’m a part timer so my pay isn’t as high as the regular staff.

Its official, I’m broke. 

In the mean time, I’m living in Maddy’s apartment (through her power of persuasion) with her and her eight-year-old daughter. She’s a proud single mom by the way. I’m embarrassed to say I’m actually jealous of her. For weeks now I’m expecting to experience morning sickness or anything that could be a sign of pregnancy. Some things just don’t happen the way we wanted it to.

Mournfully my hand reached my middle, as if searching for the existence that’s supposed to be there.

Suddenly, a small force of nature had me stumbling forward but my heightened sensed helped me regain my balance lithely. I turned fully intending to take down the threat only to find a small little girl wrap her arms around my legs; the top of her head reached my knees.

I sighed. “Lucy.”

“Hi auntie!” She smiled a toothy smile.

“Lucy sweetie, you shouldn’t do that.” Maddy stepped beside me and pried Lucy off my legs. “Its rude, auntie Ashley could have fall and hurt herself.” 

“I’m sorry mommy, sorry auntie Ashley.” She peered at me behind her beautiful long blonde locks.

“Its okay cupcake.” I smiled, tussling her hair. “Just be careful.”

Maddy set Lucy on the countertop and busied herself, rummaging the cabinets. She turned with a jar of peanut butter in her hand. “You know, if money’s the problem, I heard Josie quit her job at the bar. I could ask Bob a favour if you want.” She spread the peanut butter on a slice of bagel.

“Maddy!” I huffed. “Stop being such an angel!”

She gave the bagel to Lucy then looked at me with those big innocent eyes of her, only I knew better. “What? What did I do?” Lucy giggled.

“You! That’s what’s going on. I’m practically a stranger and you are treating me so benevolently, it makes me feel awful.”  

Maddy raised a brow. “Benevolently, huh.” She tested the word, then pulled a weird look. “Okay then. Do me a favour and don’t use smart words. I’m too old and too dumb.”

“Benevolently!” Lucy chirped.

Maddy smiled endearingly at her and smoothed down a stray hair on Lucy’s head.

“You know you’re still hot.” I said with a teasing tone.

“Sizzling.” She retorted, not amused.