Training

Rylee's POV

I could tell something was wrong when the divergents assembled in the lobby of the Divergent Quarter for dinner. There was tension in the air, and a prolonged, awkward silence. Finally, Jenna spoke. 

"Where's Jaylene?" She asked, looking around, as we each grabbed a bowl of salad, two slices of cheese pizza, and a bottle of water from our blue runner, Sylvia. 

I sighed with relief as I bit into the thick pizza, it felt so good to eat normal food again. But my relaxation was short lived. 

"Didn't you hear?" An older divergent- Bryan- sighed. 

"Hear what?" Jenna gave him a confused look. 

"She was killed." 

"What!?" Jenna and I simultaneously gasped. 

"Yeah, Trump had his TG's kill her." 

"Wait, slow down, Trump? As in the actual Trump? What was Jaylene doing in Trump City?" I asked. 

"She wasn't in Trump City, Trump visited Texas," Bryan spat. 

"Our noble state is now polluted," I pouted.

"Come on, you guys should really get back to training!" Our blue runner said cheerily. "With Jaylene out of the race, any of you could be the Eagle!" 

"Did you seriously just say that?" Bryan rolled his eyes. "She was a Dumper! She was one of us!" 

"I'm sorry...but it's the truth. Right now, you guys should all be focused on becoming the Eagle! At least, if I was a divergent, I would be."

"Alright, then," Bryan sighed. "Let's go." 

At his cue, the rest of us stood up, walking back through one of four hallways to our various sections of the training area. As Jenna and I approached ours, I glanced up at the board that hung over the door. 

Eagle testing in five weeks. 

Wow, I had already been here a week! I was going to have to work really hard if I wanted to become the Eagle. Although Bryan and Ethan were stiff competition, without Jaylene in the picture, I actually had a chance!

"Welcome, Rylee Stone," said a voice over the loudspeaker. "Please stand on the red X." 

As usual, I walked up to the red X and the lights in the room turned red. A screen slid across the middle of the large gym, keeping me and Jenna from being able to see each other. 

"Select a weapon," said the voice, and the weapons rack began to glow a bluish green, sliding towards me. 

The choice was easy. I grabbed the small, silver tube in the middle, wrapping my hand around its familiar rubber grip. 

As I held it out in front of me, it expanded into a deadly spear with several sets of poison-tipped blades. 

"Your training will commence in 3...2...1..." a loud beep sounded and holographic TG's began to pour in from both sides of the room. 

"Let's dump Trump!" I screamed, twirling my spear in the air before skewering two TG's on its end. 

The yell wasn't necessary, but Mr. Olson was watching our every move. Even though it wasn't official Eagle testing, he was still gauging us, and being inspiring was just as important as being a good fighter for the Eagle. I wanted him to know I understood that. 

More TG's ran at me in a line, trying to knock me over, but I flipped the spear over, mentally commanding it to flatten its tip into a long, flat board, which I used to whack the entire row of Trumpist Guards, making them fall backwards. Its ability to easily change shape was one of my favorite things about my weapon of choice.

But, before I had time to turn it back into a spear, a TG came at me from behind, tackling me. My flattened weapon was too long to do any damage at this range, and the TG was lunging at me left and right with his dagger. 

Letting go of my spear for a second I flipped around and pried the TG off my back, grabbing my weapon and stabbing him. 

"Session complete," the automated voice said as the TG's disappeared. "Two minute rest." 

I sat down on the floor, smoothing back my hair and tightening my messy ponytail. When I looked up at the window above me, I saw Mr. Olson and several of the other Dumper leaders standing there, all watching me and typing something on their iPads. Mr. Olson saw me looking at him and gave me a thumbs up. 

Score! 

Maddie's POV

Just a little farther, I told myself, gritting my teeth, as I forced myself to keep climbing. 

"Stick to the side of the building, or you'll be noticed! Remember if you're caught, we're all dead! The Intelligence is counting on you!" The Head Trumpist yelled from below the scale model of the front of the White House. 

Wow, thanks for all the extra pressure, Leona. 

Finally, I reached the top, although I felt like I was about to fall right back down almost every two steps. 

Why did they have to carve so many dang ridges on this thing? 

"Okay, you're doing great, now-" 

"Here comes the TG!" Leah screeched, interrupting her sister. 

Whipping around, I heard the sound of gunfire, and a solitary holographic TG popped out from behind a railing, firing at me. 

"Whoa!" I screamed, startled, as I lost my balance, slipping off the roof and tumbling down the front of the fake White House before my rock climbing harness caught me. 

For a few seconds, I hung about five feet in the air, suspended upside down. 

Behold the glorious Maddie Udana, savior of Trumperica!

Finally, I was able to tip myself over far enough to put my feet on the ground and unhook my harness, walking over to Leona. 

"How did I do?" I asked. 

"Amazing," the Head Trumpist said dryly. "But not amazing enough. You would've died at least six times today, you aren't going to have a harness during the actual mission. Training is extended, you're not going home until you successfully complete the mission at least once!" 

"Give her a break, Leona!" Leah sighed. "She's a high schooler, not a professional assassin!" 

"That's why she needs to train, time is running out," Leona said through gritted teeth. "Get back to the White House!" She gestured to the plastic model of the front of Trump's residence that was plastered to the wall. 

This was going to be a long day.