Chapter Two; Part Two

Emma's POV

After the service was over Rae made her way back over to me, carrying a sleeping John. Her cheeks were tear stained, but at that moment she was doing alright. I held out my arms and allowed her to place John in them. I kissed his forehead and moved one of his curls out of his face. He looked like a little angel when he slept.

"He gets heavy after a while." Rae stretched out her arms. I let out a small laugh.

"Don't I know it!" I smiled down at my son. "But in a few more years we won't even be able to hold him anymore. Isn't it sad to think about?"

"Seems like it was yesterday that we put together his crib... Do you remember that?" Rae asked, a smile making its way onto her face.

"Yeah, we screwed up so badly that my daddy had to take it all apart and fix it." I chuckled at the memory.

"You girls do realize that you're a funeral right? You're not supposed to be laughing." We turned to see an amused Kade walking up to us.

"Jace would have done it." I tossed back at him with a smirk. That comment caught him off guard, but his face broke out into a grin.

"You're right about that. He would be proud of you two following in his footsteps." Kade informed us. Rae gave him a sad smile in return.

"Thank you for asking me to sit with y'all today.." She spoke up.

"You were his girl. You deserved to be there." He assured her.

"Well, thank you anyways."

"I'll see y'all later, thank y'all for being here. Jace might not would have appreciated it, but I do."

Rae just nodded and I responded with, "Of course... See you around."

Rae and I watched as he walked back toward his family, before we decided to walk back to my car. I shifted John in my arms, they were starting to fall asleep. We didn't speak on the walk back to the car. We didn't need to, I knew Rae needed time, she wasn't ready to talk about it yet. So we walked in a comfortable silence. We were halfway to the car when I heard voices behind us.

"I know you two aren't leaving without speaking to us." The first one declared.

"Can you believe that?" The second one asked the first. "Ignoring us cripple fellas, acting like they never knew us."

Rae and I turned around and there they were, following a few feet behind us. Garrett Johnson, who had an arm in a sling and no longer had any hair due to the large stapled up gash on his head, was using his good hand to push a wheelchair  that contained Tommy Peters, who had two broken legs and stitches on the left side of his face. Rae ran over to them and threw her arms around them, hugging both of their necks. Since I had John in my arms I didn't run, but I moved as quickly as I could.

"I am so glad you guys are okay." I heard Rae tell them, she still hung onto them.

"Well what do we have here? Look who's got a baby... but you know Em, you still look hot." Tommy grinned at me from his wheelchair.

"It's good to see you guys." I hugged Tommy as best as I could with a baby in my hands.

"Hand me that little guy, let me see him." He demanded, reaching out for my son. Once John was safely in Tommy's hands, I threw my arms around Garrett.

"Thank God that y'all are okay." I whispered.

"I swear if you two cry, I will snap." Garrett warned us, narrowing his eyes at Rae and I. I laughed.

"We will try our best." I smiled at him.

"Why don't you guys come with us to Emma's, there is no need for us to stand around the cemetery talking." Rae suggested. The boys looked between each other and shrugged.