Chapter Three

Emma's POV

"Why don't you guys stay for supper?" I asked from the kitchen as I began digging through my cabinets and refrigerator for the ingredients for spaghetti. It was a little after five, John and I ate at six, so I needed to get started. 

By that time, my little boy was up from his nap. Tommy and Garrett were sitting on the floor with him playing with all of the toys he had pulled out of his toy box. John loved the attention he was getting and I think the guys were enjoying playing with him.

"You're offering to feed us? Of course we'll stay." Tommy shot me a grin.

"I don't think John is gonna let y'all leave anyways." Rae told them from her place on the couch. "He doesn't get to hang out with guys too much. He is probably enjoying it."

"His dad doesn't get him?" Garrett gave me a quizzical look.

"Who is his dad anyways? I've never heard you say." Tommy looked up at me. Rae and I shared a looked. John's father wasn't exactly something I discussed.

"I met him at college, so y'all don't know him... But no, he doesn't have anything to do with John. He wasn't ready to be a parent." I told them the same thing that I told everyone else who had ever asked.

"I'm sorry Em. The guys an idiot." Tommy apologized.

"It's alright. John and I are doing just fine. Aren't we John?" I looked at my baby, he gave me a toothy grin.

"You're doing a great job with him." Garrett told me.

"I haven't done it alone. Rae has been here with me and my family has helped a lot too." I smiled at my best friend.

"You've raised him. I just help out sometimes." Rae brushed off my comment.

"Ma, me candy?" John came up and tugged on the hem of my shorts, interrupting the conversation.

"No candy. We'll have supper in a little bit." I told him. He hung his head and walked over to Garrett.

"Gar candy?" He asked, sounding hopeful.

"Sorry Buddy, your Mama said no." Garrett apologized to him. John looked over at Tommy, who just shook his head no.

"Ma Rae, candy?"

"John, your Mama said no." Rae told him. He hung his head in defeat. No one was going to give him candy.

"Gummies?" He tried once more.

"No gummies either. You can have something after supper." I replied, "Go play."

******

The following Friday, I got off of work at 12. I was the receptionist at the  doctor's office in the next city. It wasn't a glamorous job, but I enjoyed it. Every other Friday, we closed the office at 12. On those days. I also picked John up early from day care and we'd run our errands, such as grocery shopping, or find something fun to do, like going to the park.

It was really nice outside that day. The sun was shining and there was a nice breeze, it was not the kind of day that you spent inside, so John and I went to the park for a little while. We climbed on the jungle gym and slid down the slides.  I pushed him on the swing set, as he told me to make him go higher. I blew bubbles, John ran around laughing and squealing, trying to pop them.

After about thirty minutes at the park, John was getting tired and hungry, so we stopped by the local diner for a quick lunch. It wasn't too crowded, since it was a week day. The ladies who worked in the restaurant fawned over John, which he loved. He ate his chicken fingers while they asked him about daycare.