Chapter Sixteen

Matt's POV

"Hurry up!" Kaylee whined, motioning for me to step onto the skateboard. She said that she wanted to teach me, and every time I chickened out. But today, she cornered me and here we are, at the neighborhood's biggest hill. 

"Maybe we should start smaller?" I squeaked, strapping the helmet on tighter, and making sure my elbow pads and kneepads were fastened. 

"No way, if you want to start, this is where and how." She stated, folding her arms across her chest. 

"But--" 

"No buts just balls!" She said, stepping closer to me, "You're going down this hill one way or another." She took another step, until she was an arm's reach away. 

"Kaylee, don't you dare." I warned, trying to get off the board. 

"You'll thank me later," Kaylee said simply, and pushed me down the hill. 

I closed my eyes and when I didn't feel my body crash into anything, I opened them again, but to only close them.

"Matt stop being a pussy and open your eyes!" I heard her scream from the top of the hill. 

"No!" I shouted, holding my hands over my eyes. 

"Matt turn left! Turn left!" I heard her cry out. Opening my eyes to see what was going on, I saw a pick up truck coming at me in full speed. I don't know what the driver was doing at the time, but he wasn't looking at the road. I tried to stop, but I just stood there stunned as I saw my entire life flash before my eyes. I heard one final scream, then everything went black. 

******************************************************************************************************

Lucy's POV 

"No, you need to hang that blanket over that chair," Niall said hanging it himself. 

"Is it time to hang the fairy lights yet?" I asked eagerly. 

Niall chuckled circling it, "Not yet. We need another one hanging here," He motioned towards an empty space. I threw him another blanket and helped him secure it in place. Then we draped the lights around the perimeter of the structure. We plugged it in, adding a faint glow to the atmosphere. 

Grey clouds surrounded the house, so Niall wanted to build a fort in my room and watch movies all day. I rejected the idea at first, but after ten minutes of pleading, I gave in. How could you say no to his furby face? Well, so now we're building a blanket fort. I was wearing my rainy day attire: grey sweatpants and a Batman hoodie with pink fuzzy socks. 

"Perfect," He said, looking at it once more then stood next to me. "Wasn't that fun Lu?" 

I laughed, "Yeah, it actaully was." I dove into the pile of pillows with Niall peering through the opening. "You coming?" I said, setting up the laptop. 

"Wait! We need food!" He said, sprinting out the door. 

Of course. 

He came back with a bowl of popcorn, some candy, Fanta and...chicken? "You ready?" I asked, putting myself in a comfortable position. 

"Yup," He muffled through a mouthful of popcorn and gave me a thumbs up. I pressed play, and Mean Girls flashed across the screen. All the popcorn came tumbling out of his mouth, "Really?" 

I blushed, "What? It's a good movie!" Even though he didn't want to watch the movie, he still copied each line of the movie with me. [A/N If you didn't watch it, then WATCH IT it's HILARIOUS]

"Oh my gosh I love your skirt! Where did you get it from?" I mimicked. 

"Oh, my mom wore it back in the seventies." Niall said in a girly voice. 

"Vintage...cute!" 

"That was the ugliest fucking skirt I've ever seen!" We said in unison, laughing. After the movie had ended, Niall said it was his turn to pick. Being the macho man he is, he pulled out a horror movie: Children of the Corn. 

"Are, are you sure?" I asked. That movie literally has me shitting bricks. 

Smirking, he said, "Yeah, why are you scared of a movie Lucy?" 

"No!" I protested, "Play the movie Horan."

Happily, he inserted the movie and it began rolling. Not even twenty minutes into the movie, I was already jumping out of my skin. As the movie got more intense, Niall would wrap his arm around my waist protectively. 

"Wh-what's wrong with these kids?!" I screamed, shielding my eyes from the screen. 

Niall chuckled, obviously amused at my reactions. "It's okay Lu, I won't let them get to you." 

Feeling braver, I peeked through the cracks of my fingers, only to turn away and nuzzle my head in Niall's chest for comfort. He stroked my hair comfortingly and said, "It's not real Lucy." 

"How do you know?" I asked, my voice muffled. 

"Because, I'm Niall Horan, anything says goes." 

"Whatever." 

"Oh, you love me," He said, twirling a piece of hair. 

"Is the movie done yet?" I asked, my head still buried in his shirt. 

"If I tell you that the movie has been over for twenty minutes, would you be mad?" 

"What?!" I sat up to find an empty screen staring back at me. "Niall!" I exclaimed, "Why didn't you tell me it was over?" 

"Well, I kind of liked the position we were in..." He trailed, trying to think of the right words to say, but I was far ahead of him. 

"So do I," I said smiling and cuddling into his chest again. 

******************************************************************************************************

Kaylee's POV 

I knew I shouldn't have pushed him. The scene kept replaying in my head: the truck, Matt, and then me. I should have taken him to the skate park instead. I'm such an idiot. 

Waiting in the hospital's reception room, is like torture. Not knowing when they're going to come out, and not knowing if the person you're waiting for is stil alive. Matt's aunt was seated next to me, furiously knitting some kind of article of clothing. 

We haven't spoken for the longest time, until we heard a nurse open the door. Both of our heads snapped towards the sound, only to find her speak to another family. I watched as the woman covered her mouth with her elegant hand, revealing a wedding ring. Sitting next to her was an elderly couple who just shook their heads sadly and tried comforting the poor woman. Tears streamed down her face, as she violently shook her head, saying something over and over again. 

I squirmed in my seat, hoping that we won't receive any news that she received. What would I do if Matt died? I don't know, he had been my only friend. Everyone else thought of me as some kind of freak and refused to converse with me. 

"Kaylee dear, why don't you go on home?" Jillian asked me kindly. 

I shook my head, "I can't. I need to know that Matt will be okay."

She looked at me sadly, "I won't tell you what to do. Do what you want dear," She said resuming her knitting. 

So I sat there, not even bothering calling my parents to let them know where I am. I've been in this hospital for about three hours now, and I'm not about to quit on Matt. Before I knew it, I had passed out.