Chapter Nine

Niall's POV

It's been a few days since I've seen Lucy. At first, Lucy was just another girl to me, but after chasing her around, I think that I might actually want her to be more than just another girl. It's weird, period. Anyways, to speed things up with Lu, I've decided to take her out on an evening picnic, with Italian food this time, and just talk under the stars. Really cliche right? But I thought I owed her a make-up date, since the last one didn't go so well. As I walked out the door with the basket full of goodies, I felt my pocket vibrate, signaling that I've received a new message.

From Harry:

I want to call off the bet with Lucy.

I rolled my eyes, what did he think I was, an idiot? I know that Harry likes Lucy. The way he looked at her when she walked into his home and when they were cuddling under the tree during our game of tag. I wasn't going to let Harry take her away that easily.

To Harry:

Why? Cause you already know that I'm going to win and you'll owe me money in the end?

He didn't respond after I sent the last one, so I guess I win this round. Smirking triumphantly, I started Lucy's favorite car and drove off.

Lucy's POV

"Matt stop it!" I yelled, chasing after him as he stormed up the stairs only to have a door slammed in my face. I pounded on the door, "Matt open up!"

"Go away Lucy! Why don't you go and fuck your boyfriend?!"

Tears threatened to spill over as I hung my head in defeat, Matt has always been accusing me of never being home ever since Niall came along and has requested to stay with Jillian for awhile.

Before I knew it, anger had washed over me as I said flatly, "Why don't you just move in with Jillian already?" I stormed to my room and fell onto the softness of my covers face first. I heard the doorbell ring and trudged down the stairs, wiping the tear stains off my face.

I opened the door to see Niall standing there with a picnic basket and a shy grin covering his face.

"Uh, hi Niall," I said leaning against the doorframe, eyeing out his picnic basket.

"Sorry to barge in like this, but I brought some Italian." He said holding up the basket, showing off his perfect smile. 

I sighed and ran my hand through my hair, looking up the steps knowing that I should stay and talk things out with Matt. I looked up to him and said, "I wouldn't mind eating a bit of Italian."

His eyes shimmered as he pulled me out the door by my wrist, "Let's go then!"

We ended up at a park that was a couple streets from my house. Matt and I used to play here once upon a time. Setting up the blanket and food, in a place that was secluded from the playground, Niall motioned for me to join him.

As if knowing what was on my mind, Niall asked, "So how are things with Matt?"

I nibbled on a piece of bread dipped in olive oil, "Um, good," I said briskly.

"Lucy, c'mon tell me. You know you can tell me," He said stuffing his face with pasta.

I nodded slowly, and said, "Matt doesn't want to live with me anymore."

Niall grew sympathetic and replied softly, "Don't worry princess, I'm sure he didn't mean it." I didn't want to tell him what Matt had said about Niall earlier. He continued, "He's almost a teenager, he's probably just on a moodswing."