Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Sunny Taylor

I yawned and sat up, clicking off the damn alarm clock that always gave me terrible starts to my day, and sleepily called out, "Anthony, why do I not already smell coffee and breakfast? You always have it!"

I got no response, so I rubbed at my eyes before yelling, "Anthony?"

I got out of bed, peeking my head out of my doorway and looking around. Confused, I made my way down the stairs, looking into our classic white kitchen. I saw a plate with a donut on it and a note next to it.

I grumpily walked over to it and picked the note up, reading out loud, "Delilah, I know you very well and I am just assuming that you forgot that I won't be here till tomorrow. Here is a donut, and there is macaroni in the pantry. Have fun at school, Love Anthony. Jerk."

I said that, but I knew it was completely true. He knew me like the back of his hand. I looked at the donut and reluctantly forgave him, seeing it was my favorite, sprinkles.

I grabbed it off the plate a took a big bite, letting the flavor of the doughnut invade my taste buds, giving me the fleeting high I got from sugars like this.

I smiled, carrying it up with me and setting it on my desk as I went to my closet and got out my outfit for the day which consisted of a delightful maxi-dress that had a peach top, and a black shirt that had a floral pattern on it. It was slightly sheer, but not so much that I might actually get caught for violating the dress code, not that the school even seemed to enforce it. I put on a pair of small wedges that matched the top, bringing me to five foot four.

I went to the bathroom and applied makeup that accompanied the outfit, and put my hair in a low bun, making a French braid leading to it. I also put on my most prized jewelry, a pink-tinted silver locket that had flowers on it. My father gave it to me the day before he died.

I smiled and ate my doughnut as I walked down the stairs. I paused, realizing I would have to walk to school since I couldn't bike in this dress. I groaned and checked the clock which told me I had another hour. It would be a forty minute walk in these ridiculous shoes. I would have changed normally but I wanted a little confidence boost considering the events of the past few weeks, and this was an easy way to give myself that. I was about to leave when someone knocked on the door.

For whatever reason, a memory of Ross knocking one night, the first time he hurt me, flashed through my brain. Fear washed over me, bringing me to my knees. It felt dramatic, but I had to give myself time to heal, and if that meant going easy on myself for overreacting, I decided I would push myself to do so. I took a few deep breaths and stood up, putting on my backpack and creeping up to the door, peeking through to hole to see who was there.

Relief consumed my when I saw it was only Annabelle. I smiled and opened the door. She looked me over and exclaimed, "Oh my gosh! No wonder Bo calls you cutie! You look so pretty!"

I blushed and quietly thanked her. She smiled and pointed behind her, saying, "I give David and Olivia rides to school, since I pick them up on the way, and was wondering if you wanted me to give you rides every day?"

I nodded and said, "Yes please! I love my bike and all, but I can't ride it today since I am wearing these," I showed her my shoes before continuing, "And these would be painful to walk in. But just for today, I wouldn't want to be a bother."

It was a lame excuse. I wanted friends and all, but these people had thrusted me into the spotlight, and seemed to be very hands on.

She shook her head and waved it off as she lead me to her car, telling me, "That's nonsense! You live next door! Count on my being here every single morning!"